Smyrna Trunking down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpsTN

I am having trouble receiving any transmissions from the trunked frequencies for Smyrna, Tennessee. My scanner (Radio Shack PRO-164) is only about 3 months old. I went to Radio Shack to see if I was doing something wrong and they compared my scanner with a new one of the same model and neither of them received anything trunked from Smyrna. Since I when there, I have received a brief transmission on one frequency, but that is it so far. Does anyone know if there are having trouble with Smyrna's trunked system. I rarely, if ever, hear anything from Smyrna from the 460 MHz range, so I assume they are mostly trucked.

Charles
Smyrna, TN

jimg

Premium Subscriber
I am having trouble receiving any transmissions from the trunked frequencies for Smyrna, Tennessee. My scanner (Radio Shack PRO-164) is only about 3 months old. I went to Radio Shack to see if I was doing something wrong and they compared my scanner with a new one of the same model and neither of them received anything trunked from Smyrna. Since I when there, I have received a brief transmission on one frequency, but that is it so far. Does anyone know if there are having trouble with Smyrna's trunked system. I rarely, if ever, hear anything from Smyrna from the 460 MHz range, so I assume they are mostly trucked.

Charles
Smyrna, TN

I thought Smyrna was on 800 analog trunking, not 460 mhz.

cpsTN

That's my point. I should be hearing something from them from Police and Fire at least, but nothing so far. I tried the 460MHz range to see of anything came up. So far, I am not hearing anything. That is why I am wondering if there is something wrong with their system. I have tried to receive Smyrna in the 800MHz bands on one NEW and one virtually new scanner.

Charles
Smyrna, TN

CORN

Premium Subscriber
That's my point. I should be hearing something from them from Police and Fire at least, but nothing so far. I tried the 460MHz range to see of anything came up. So far, I am not hearing anything. That is why I am wondering if there is something wrong with their system. I have tried to receive Smyrna in the 800MHz bands on one NEW and one virtually new scanner.

Charles
Smyrna, TN

There was talk about Smyrna joining everyone else and rebanding. You might want to try some 800MHz freqs below 860 and see what comes up. Are you recieving the control channel ok?

kg4ere

Premium Subscriber
Smyrna was supposed to have rebanded by now. I am not sure if they are yet or what the freq would be.

cpsTN

There was talk about Smyrna joining everyone else and rebanding. You might want to try some 800MHz freqs below 860 and see what comes up. Are you recieving the control channel ok?

Sometimes, meaning every hour or so, I hear a clear police TX on 859.2375 MHz, but that has been it so far. Perhaps they have moved. Murfreesboro, for the most part, is not trunked, so could they have gone over the Nashville?

I am new to Trunked scanning. I don't know how to identify which is the control channel.

Charles
Smyrna, TN

Last edited:

CORN

Premium Subscriber
If your hearing snippets from Smyrna PD on 859.2375 then they definitely have rebanded. I'm going to try and get down there to check this out now. Sorry i can't help very much. Be patient we'll figure it out. I'm using a Gre PSR-500 which might have to have a custom table for it to work properly. Not sure yet. As for them joining Nashville i don't believe thats in their cards.

cpsTN

have u tried to scan the channels conventionally? like not in the trunk mode? and do u hear the electronic noise of the control channel?
I have tried to scan for them both trunked and conventionally. I DO hear the electronic noise from the control channel.

Charles
Smyrna, TN

jimg

Premium Subscriber
I have tried to scan for them both trunked and conventionally. I DO hear the electronic noise from the control channel.

Charles
Smyrna, TN

I talked to a friend of mine in Smyrna, who has a GRE-500, and he is not picking them either. The frequencies he has programmed in are 868.4000, control channel and 867.5750 alternate control channel.
Have you tried the "002 Rebanded" frequencies in in the RadioReference database, beginning with 851.06250?

kg4ere

Premium Subscriber
"Murfreesboro, for the most part, is not trunked, so could they have gone over the Nashville?
"

None of Murfreesboro is trunked. I work for them and our UHF system is outdated and sucks. Wish they would upgrade. If you are in the M'boro area MTSU is on a trunked 800 system if you feel like listening to them.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
"Murfreesboro, for the most part, is not trunked, so could they have gone over the Nashville?
"

None of Murfreesboro is trunked. I work for them and our UHF system is outdated and sucks. Wish they would upgrade. If you are in the M'boro area MTSU is on a trunked 800 system if you feel like listening to them.

What is the antenna on the trunk of MPD cars, it is silver and has a couple of curls in it, used for?

cpsTN

I actually live just outside Smyrna in the county, and I identify myself with Smyrna, but my address is the 'boro. I am about 4 miles NW of the Stones River National Battlefield. I DO get over to the MTSU area rather often.

Charles
Smyrna, TN

kg4ere

Premium Subscriber
The curly Q antenna on the truck is actually 900 mhz for the mobile data terminals. They also have Sprint Cards in the MDT's in case we are somewhere that the 900 system does not reach. Most of the older cars now look a little silly because they still have the old 800 MDT antenna on the roof, a UHF antenna, a GPS antenna, a in car camera mic antenna, and the new 900 mhz MDT antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.