• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

So, is the BKR9000 really vapourware?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So it's on the BK website and I can say that I've ordered my DEMO units of the BKR9000. It's looking more like the 1st quarter of 2023. I will keep you all informed.

That's good to hear. I'm all for competition in the market. I did hold the one they had on display a few years ago, and I kind of liked it. Hopefully the price is in line with the others.

Let us know when you get it, would like to hear your take on them.

gtaman

So it's on the BK website and I can say that I've ordered my DEMO units of the BKR9000. It's looking more like the 1st quarter of 2023. I will keep you all informed.

BK did state in the earnings meeting Q4 of this year. Most likely Q1 2023 for fulfillment. I hope the screen isn’t smaller. I really like the 5000. It’s a brick but damn it’s a winner.

Let us know if you get them.

Good evening group,

Has anyone noticed the new BKR9000 image on the BK Technologies website? It definitely appears there have been some design changes since the BKR5000 was released. The speaker grille has been reduced and the screen made taller/more slender; it seems like a smaller form factor all around, relative the BKR5000. Maybe it's actually coming Q4 of this year?!

Almost looks like a APX now

rkm1215

I missed the earnings meeting, but found the archive on the BK website so now for a couple questions. Pardon my ignorance: The BKR9000 was originally submitted for FCC review years ago so did it have to be resubmitted for review again recently or how does that work since the changes (based on pictures) appear mostly cosmetic?

Exciting this is finally moving forward!

Also re-stumbled upon this recently so thought I'd share: https://fccid.io/K95BKR9000

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I missed the earnings meeting, but found the archive on the BK website so now for a couple questions. Pardon my ignorance: The BKR9000 was originally submitted for FCC review years ago so did it have to be resubmitted for review again recently or how does that work since the changes (based on pictures) appear mostly cosmetic?

Exciting this is finally moving forward!

If pretty much anything other than the outer shape of the radio changed, it would need to be submitted for a new FCC type certification. Software/firmware excepted.

Also re-stumbled upon this recently so thought I'd share: https://fccid.io/K95BKR9000

Pretty odd it doesn't show 700MHz.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
Pretty odd it doesn't show 700MHz.

I was just going to comment on that. Someone screwed the pooch on their FCC Filing. This could be very bad for BK. Wouldn't they have to have it recertified for 700 in order to legally transmit there under part 90? Oh boy!

APX6k

Premium Subscriber

Looking at the brochure, the new design looks very similar to the APX 6/7/8k models. It looks like BK is mimicking the double face form factor - screen on one side and speaker grille on the other, microphone on both sides for noise cancellation. I wonder if it will have a similar type of plastic carry holder, I don't see where a regular BK belt clip would be fastened on either side.

Hopefully they have retained the ability to passively monitor Phase I/II P25 systems with an "Rx Only" checkbox in the trunking system parameters, as was the case with the KNG and KNG2 series. From a hobbyist perspective, it would be a great capability to have built into a commercial grade multi-band HT (which I'm sure will handle LSM as well, if not better, than its predecessors).

rkm1215

Looking at the brochure, the new design looks very similar to the APX 6/7/8k models. It looks like BK is mimicking the double face form factor - screen on one side and speaker grille on the other, microphone on both sides for noise cancellation. I wonder if it will have a similar type of plastic carry holder, I don't see where a regular BK belt clip would be fastened on either side.

Hopefully they have retained the ability to passively monitor Phase I/II P25 systems with an "Rx Only" checkbox in the trunking system parameters, as was the case with the KNG and KNG2 series. From a hobbyist perspective, it would be a great capability to have built into a commercial grade multi-band HT (which I'm sure will handle LSM as well, if not better, than its predecessors).
My understanding was the BKR5000 supported the passive monitoring, but does anyone know for sure? My guess is whatever is supported in RES for 5000 will be similar for 9000.

gtaman

My understanding was the BKR5000 supported the passive monitoring, but does anyone know for sure? My guess is whatever is supported in RES for 5000 will be similar for 9000.

Most likely. It’s literally a KNG radio in a new housing. Software and programming is identical. Including programming trunked systems.