• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

So, is the BKR9000 really vapourware?

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully they will refile the FCC certifications to include 700 P25 waveforms, otherwise there could be some regulatory issues in store for using non Part 90 certificated equipment on 700 MHz TRSs.

rkm1215

I tried to order a P400 or P500 and was told they were discontinued in favor of BKR9000. Anyone know where to find a P400 or P500? There's an interesting clause in my internal policy that any new employee must be issued new equipment and for the purposes of that subsection new is defined as never being in our inventory. I'm awaiting an answer, but the way I read it that means I could issue a demo or pre-owned since it's never been in inventory until BKR9000's are available. At least I'm hoping..

Any predictions on whether the 2 weeks + lead time comment holds? Problem is that could turn into 2 weeks + 6mos or more lead time.

gtaman

I tried to order a P400 or P500 and was told they were discontinued in favor of BKR9000. Anyone know where to find a P400 or P500? There's an interesting clause in my internal policy that any new employee must be issued new equipment and for the purposes of that subsection new is defined as never being in our inventory. I'm awaiting an answer, but the way I read it that means I could issue a demo or pre-owned since it's never been in inventory until BKR9000's are available. At least I'm hoping..

Any predictions on whether the 2 weeks + lead time comment holds? Problem is that could turn into 2 weeks + 6mos or more lead time.

Go to the BK website and look at dealers in your state. You should be able to call around and find a dealer with one on hand. 49er or BKRadios may have some in stock.

rkm1215

Correction, 49er may have one, but with the price of BKR9000 yet to be known may just wait. I've got an ETP (exception to policy) authorization now that will temporarily allow an office guy to give his radio to a field operator and the paper pusher will just have a mobile in vehicle. The building has radios inside so he doesn't need to carry portable with him.

rsmith7799

Premium Subscriber
So to answer some of the multitude of questions.....
Yes the KNG line has been discontinued. I would say to get the BKR9000 a good push. All the available options are mentioned in the brochure. I am getting my demo units basically in Feb of 2023.
Yes the format LOOKS similar to the OTHER companies radio, BK has brought in 12 engineers from the OTHER company, so why reinvent the wheel so to speak.
Dealers may have KNG products on their shelves (I have some used P800's, no P400's) you will have to check on your own.
Hope this helps and I cant wait for the late Christmas presents!!

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
Are we all just going to gloss over the fact that the radio is illegal to operate on 700 MHz in its current FCC Part 90 certification? ok. ill shut up about it.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Are we all just going to gloss over the fact that the radio is illegal to operate on 700 MHz in its current FCC Part 90 certification? ok. ill shut up about it.

"Real" fire crews only use VHF analog.

But someone requires super duper P25 phase 2 trunked all band LTE/WiFi budget buster radios. Just in case the interior attack crew needs to talk to the garbage truck driver 3 counties over.

I wonder if Calfire upgrades would they go full mutli band or dual band for the new cris system. Their were talking about law enforcement side to be on the system.

I just saw on Instagram it's available to order? Or they mess up with the post?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220826-150237_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220826-150237_Instagram.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 42

Colton25

Premium Subscriber
I just read a post on FB that says the same thing from BK, available to order.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I would definitely appreciate in-depth reviews and detailed comparisons against the XL-200, APX 7/8000's etc, by people who've had a chance to try them out for a while in various environments (i.e. SAR missions, wildland fires, urban structure fire calls etc). One would hope they start sending out units to be demo'd by people in a position to do this.

gtaman

Anyone able to get an accurate MSRP on it currently? I have not tried calling my dealers yet. I may email BK for a price sheet.

rsmith7799

Premium Subscriber
To answer more questions AND this is what this site is all about....I would think some CalFIRE LEO's would love to have an ALL band.
I'd like to know what Echo4thirsty means about illegal.
Pricing...BK is keeping tight about that for now.
Dealers are having a meeting on all the intrict workings and how to order the BKR9000 in September.
I will give the radio a good test before I put my name or business's name on it. (I love the BKR5000 and it's abilities) so hopefully the 9000 will be the same.

Never the less I will keep the Group informed on it's performance as soon as I receive my DEMO units (which is projected to be late Jan. 2023) I'll see what all the hype is all about.