• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

So, is the BKR9000 really vapourware?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Why do you say it's illegal? Please enlighten us.

I've heard it said that this was for the model built off the BKR5000. Missing 700MHz.
If there is a new version either using the same FCC ID, or a new one, the FCC OET page isn't showing it.

Oversight? Error? "Coming soon"? or "just won't do 700MHz"?

Either way, it's kind of odd to have an "all band" radio and skip 700MHz band, for whatever reason. Hopefully that gets sorted out soon.

I'm all for competition in the marketplace and I did hold the BRK9000 they had on display a few years ago at IWCE. Kind of a nice radio, but the specifics were thin back then.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
Why do you say it's illegal? Please enlighten us.

Without Part 90 certification on 700 MHz, the radio would only be legal to transmit on VHF/UHF/800/900 MHz frequencies that were granted. This is no different than an Amateur radio being illegal to operate on non Part 97 frequencies. If the FCC wanted to, they could issue NALs to licensees of systems for operating these radios on 700 as they are currently approved. The only frequencies this radio is legal to transmit on with its current part 90 certification are 136-174, 378-522, 806-824, 851-869, 896-901, 935-940.

As a former system manager, I would not have risked my system licenses and would not have approved this radio for usage without this getting corrected.

Bottom line, someone responsible for regulatory filings at BK screwed up in a big way.

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
Does anyone have a test system key I could use? I am trying to get a feel for how the programming works.

mancow

Database Admin
Oh, ok. Interesting.

I've been chatting with one of the dealers about it and demoing the software. Obviously I've never actually used the radio but if the features advertised and the software works the way the are represented they will have made a hell of a device. I really like the software so far. It's like they took an APX8000 and a Harris XG-XXX and married them after stripping out all the garbage that's not needed and left in all the good parts. Plus, it's a nice looking ergonomic device with a 5 Ah battery.

I really hope it lives up to what they are advertising. I would like to get off the Motorola plantation. It's getting stupid.

I'm hoping to get my hands on one once they are available.

mancow

Database Admin
I left there when HSI/Moto (one in the same) made it out be what the clinton server should have been.

I'm using RES 5.8.20.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
These folks (bkradiostore) say "starting at" $3100, FYI.

Radar412

Premium Subscriber
split between Berkeley Springs, WV & Wyoming

The date on that shows March 3 years ago

mancow

Database Admin

I can't release the quote but that's pretty accurate.