Some CHP Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
Thanks,
though I'm still confused because https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=995 does not list the Lime channels that are in my radio.
Lime 5 == Tac 5 == Khaki (or Aqua, I forget)

OK, I think I see the problem. Don't pay any attention to those TAC channels listed in RR. Those seem to be for the LA area only. Your scanner may have been programmed by someone down there. TAC 5 down there is also associated with two colors up here- 42.62 is Aqua and 42.92 is Maroon (CoCo County). So I would lock those out as its adding confusion. The only Lime I found is used in Ventura. Lock that out too. Keep Aqua 42.62 base and Khaki 44.94 base.

kandrey89

Feed Provider
Noone programed the scanner, it uses RR DB, and I manually added almost every CHP channel to my commute scanlist.
So if my DB comes from RR, I'm not sure why Lime is not listed, hence my confusion.
The cool thing about my scanner is the programming is kind of like plug and play, everything is loaded, just select what you want to listen to by zip code or by agency,

I have removed everything but Blue (GG Wide) and Base Color Divisions (1 color per area zone) and my cycle scan is now under a second, which is awesome.

My only gripe is that I hear Solano and San Francisco better than Khaki in Hayward, and Khaki has some bad spots in the Castro Valley 580 region. It's silly that they put the towers so far away from the 580 canyon corridor.

FYI, I checked Tac and Lime, and they were 42.90 (I think it was 90) and 42.62 MHz.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
'HBD'... The Old Days

When I started my law enforcement career in the Bay Area 35 years ago, the CHP Traffic Report (555) had a check box on the back of the report that said "HBD" = Had Been Drinking. That was back before DUI enforcement was emphasized like it is now. It wasn't too long after the CVC section for DUI was 502'. That's really the old days!

kandrey89

Feed Provider
What does "HMS" and "FSB" stand for?

1st one I think has something to do with being "high", and 2nd might have something to do with caltrans bridge towing/pusher service.

kma371

QRT
HMS is actually H&S, referring to the health and safety code. Usually a reference to someone being in possession of, or under the influence of some type of controlled substance.

FSB is likely FSP, freeway service patrol. Those white tow trucks with a special contract for cal trans to assist disabled motorists or remove road hazards.

PaulNDaOC

As a dispatcher the quickest CHP lingo I learned was they used back-up and assistance completely opposite from the agency I worked for. If CHP asks for back-up this is a officer needs help call, and assistance is non code 3 back up.

Last edited:

kandrey89

Feed Provider
Dragon911, all my questions have been answered and it's HBD, has been drinking.
It's obvious most of the time when they are referring to other agencies, questions I've asked here deal with abbreviations that are not obvious.

FSP - freeway service patrol
HBD - has been drinking
H&S /HNS - health and safety, illicit drugs
can't remember, there might be others that I have figured out by myself but can't remember either

Bruce42

SF Bay Area CHP

One point about the AQUA and the KHAKI multicast is that the mobiles are only repeated on their color (channel) so if a person is monitoring the KHAKI he will not hear the AQUA mobiles, only the dispatcher. The same holds true for monitoring the AQUA and not hearing the KHAKI mobiles. This explains why the mobiles frequently talk over each other and the dispatcher has to ask for a repeat.

I have all four frequencies in my scanner and scan them both with the priority on the "C" channel (base) of the district that I am traversing. That way I get as much as possible about where I am on the highway.

I hope that helps to explain the multicast situation.

Bruce...

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
Question: Why do these towers show as broadcasting on 42.48MHz?
WNUH520 (CALIFORNIA, STATE OF) FCC Callsign Details
When that frequency is associated with Emerald Mobile.

Question: What does "GAT" mean in the alpha tag.

Question: What are the BLUE UHF 1,3,4 frequencies used for?

The state can license a frequency for wherever they please, even if its not in immediate use in that particular area.

GAT in the alpha tag is short for GATE in GOLDEN GATE. Remember, a scanner can only hold so much in the alpha tag line.

BLUE, UHF, etc., are used as backup channels to the primary lowband stuff. CHP Bicycle Patrol Officers on the Golden Gate Bridge use a UHF Channel, was L8, I think it's UHF-3 now as their way to talk back to dispatch while out on bike patrol. BLUE is the STATEWIDE channel used for backend communication as well. For example, when AIR-21, H-32, etc., are up in the air but not on an area channel, you will more than likely find them on the BLUE.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

-Frank C.

PaulNDaOC

Question: Why do these towers show as broadcasting on 42.48MHz?
WNUH520 (CALIFORNIA, STATE OF) FCC Callsign Details
When that frequency is associated with Emerald Mobile.

Question: What does "GAT" mean in the alpha tag.

Question: What are the BLUE UHF 1,3,4 frequencies used for?

Looks to me like the decision to license towers in Sunol, Livermore area on 42.48 was abandoned after recognizing the same frequency was used for mobile traffic by San Luis Obispo. The towers would have likely caused SLO problems hearing units in the field.

kandrey89

Feed Provider
I find it both annoying and convenient at the same time that the dispatcher rebroadcasts on Aqua and Khaki at the same time, meanwhile the mobile units assigned to their areas do not broadcast on other channels. It's great because Khaki channel sucks when going West on 580 from San Ramon/Foothill, so you have to switch to Aqua. It sucks because if you're not locked to a single channel then you have a chance of the scan stopping on a channel that has worse reception, because of the rebroadcast.
90% of my commute is in Khaki and Aqua divisions and I don't miss much because they have the same dispatcher and all the info comes out sequentially. If I was scanning I'd loose the first word of two of the broadcast most of the time.

kandrey89

Feed Provider
Can we maybe start a wiki page or a sticky post that lists CHP divisions' unit's call signs?
For example, Khaki units are 118 with 5X (51,52,...) patrolling the I580, 51 is patrolling the Eden Canyon to Airway, and 53 unit patrolling from Tracy border to Vasco, 52 unit is covering 680 to Vasco when 52 is in service. Typically at night there are 2 5X units, 51 and 53, unless there's extra units on shift.
6X units patrol the I680, I've heard 64,65,68 but their routes are not as clear to me.
Hayward division is 25, with 70-75 typically assigned.
Castro Valley division is 143, with 10,30,31,580,581 typically assigned.
Redwood City division is 91, I think.

Dispatcher would say, "118-51, 11-25 debris westbound 580 west of 680, blocking the 2 (2nd lane) is a chair".

Anyone know what the division numbers are for the rest of Bay Area? In particular for now I'd like to know Oakland and San Jose.

A separate question, can anyone tell me what this phrase means when a vehicle is going to get towed/seized "Taken for G (George)" or sometimes P Paul, F Frank, and a few others.

Thanks

Last edited:

kma371

QRT
All the division numbers are in the DB. They are located in the description field of the frequencies.

Also, anyone can edit / add to the wiki. If you think something should go in like the callsign feel free to add them.

Last edited:

kma371

QRT
Thank you makes sense.

A quick guide on how I remember some of the most common tow authority sections under 22651.

D - Driveway (was blocking a driveway)
H - Handcuffs (they were arrested)
P - Pedestrian (they didnt have license or were suspended thus, they should have been a pedestrian)

Status
Not open for further replies.