Some CHP Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kandrey89

Feed Provider
Oh nice, thanks, missed those division numbers.

A quick guide on how I remember some of the most common tow authority sections under 22651.

D - Driveway (was blocking a driveway)
H - Handcuffs (they were arrested)
P - Pedestrian (they didnt have license or were suspended thus, they should have been a pedestrian)

G - Geee Incapacitated, bad, hospital.
F - Four hours, tow it.

:D

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
The Tac channels are statewide, but are apparently most active in LA. The Bakersfield office has a crossband repeater which links Tac 6 Base to VHF and UHF interop channels. I have also heard anecdotally (although never verified) that Tac 6 Base is used occasionally in Golden Gate Division for aerial enforcement ops (they used to have a channel called Ivory used for the same purpose).

Go to the CHP page in the database. Compare the base frequencies of each Tac with the frequencies in Golden Gate Division. Throw out the ones that are duplicated by Golden Gate Division channels (the dispatcher will interfere with car to car ops so they probably won't use it). Scan whatever is left.

kandrey89

Feed Provider
Has anyone actually heard anything on Car-Car, Car-Station, and the Direct channels on 154.905MHz?
I know they can switch to channel 2, but I'm not sure what that means.
Could they be talking on reduced power so that the dispatcher doesn't hear them?

Sometimes I hear transmissions on the main channel, since I have not scanned anything else, but it sounds like car to car transmissions. The dispatcher either realizes that or does not hear it. Any idea?

Khaki units often ask each other where they are like puppies. :D Depends on the guys on shift though.

One time 2 units were searching for a DUI on I680 and they were pulling out from an on-ramp just as I approached, they were thinking the car might have been ahead of them. Anyway, I ended up right in between the 2 CHP units, with my huge antenna sticking out. :D The same low VHF antenna their patrol cars have mounted on the roof.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
Dispatch CAN hear channel 2 traffic, but ignores it unless it's DIRECTED at them. Channel 2 traffic is "direct" aka on the OUTPUT. So for the Khaki it would be the officers talking on the BASE channel.

154.905 isn't used anymore unless there is a legacy extender around. I know ONE of the K9 Units for Golden Gate has the VHF extender still. I hear it often when they're up in the Santa Rosa Area.

Regards,

-Frank C.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
Channel 2 is the "DIRECT" channel versus going through the "REPEAT" channel. Remember, the CHP is setup so there is a TX Frequency and RX Frequency. If the officers want to talk to each other they talk ONLY ON the RX Frequency aka Channel 2/Direct/TalkAround.

Let me put it this way:

Normal Comms...An officer on the Khaki talks "on" 42.780 MHz and listens "on" 44.940 MHz.
Channel 2/Direct Comms...An officer on the Khaki talks "on" 44.940MHz and listens "on" 44.940 MHz.

Does that make sense?

Regards,

-Frank C.

kandrey89

Feed Provider
Channel 2 is the "DIRECT" channel versus going through the "REPEAT" channel. Remember, the CHP is setup so there is a TX Frequency and RX Frequency. If the officers want to talk to each other they talk ONLY ON the RX Frequency aka Channel 2/Direct/TalkAround.

Let me put it this way:

Normal Comms...An officer on the Khaki talks "on" 42.780 MHz and listens "on" 44.940 MHz.
Channel 2/Direct Comms...An officer on the Khaki talks "on" 44.940MHz and listens "on" 44.940 MHz.

Does that make sense?

Regards,

-Frank C.

Damn, you're right, completely forgot there's a RX and TX channels, that makes a lot of sense, didn't think about it that way, THANK YOU!

scottyhetzel

Yeah, units chat car to car...than dispatch comes over and completely steps on them. In the vehicle on the microphone there is a "S" station, and a "C" car. Push to talk single pole double throw switch for your thumb ...

kandrey89

Feed Provider
Dispatch CAN hear channel 2 traffic, but ignores it unless it's DIRECTED at them. Channel 2 traffic is "direct" aka on the OUTPUT. So for the Khaki it would be the officers talking on the BASE channel.

154.905 isn't used anymore unless there is a legacy extender around. I know ONE of the K9 Units for Golden Gate has the VHF extender still. I hear it often when they're up in the Santa Rosa Area.

Regards,

-Frank C.

How can dispatch hear channel2?
Can dispatch patch what they hear, like for example, they could select whether or not to mux RX and TX, or listen on TX only? How do they typically set it up, is there variation dispatcher to dispatcher?

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
How can dispatch hear channel2?
Can dispatch patch what they hear, like for example, they could select whether or not to mux RX and TX, or listen on TX only? How do they typically set it up, is there variation dispatcher to dispatcher?

That I'm not sure of. I do know I've heard dispatchers talk to units on Channel 2 when they're too weak into the voting system in some areas. Also, if there is any channel 2 traffic and it gets picked up by the mountain top somehow, dispatch will come back with, "was there channel 2 traffic?".

Regards,

-Frank C.

kandrey89

Feed Provider
I am kind of frustrated by the Khaki channel and I don't know if it's the frequency on the high side or the towers but I keep having receive issues within a mile of San Ramon/Foothill on 580 at the foot of the incline. I know Khaki works poorly on the mountain but it also seems to extend a bit further out into the valley floor.

I use the same antenna as the CHP units, so it's not the antenna, but I do think it might be the frequency because I can hear Hayward mobile units from i880 A street very clearly, just like dispatch, while Khaki channel was coming in broken and stupid. I guess the 44.94MHz has poor reception compared to Aqua channel that's ~42.65MHz.

com501

I am kind of frustrated by the Khaki channel and I don't know if it's the frequency on the high side or the towers but I keep having receive issues within a mile of San Ramon/Foothill on 580 at the foot of the incline. I know Khaki works poorly on the mountain but it also seems to extend a bit further out into the valley floor.

I use the same antenna as the CHP units, so it's not the antenna, but I do think it might be the frequency because I can hear Hayward mobile units from i880 A street very clearly, just like dispatch, while Khaki channel was coming in broken and stupid. I guess the 44.94MHz has poor reception compared to Aqua channel that's ~42.65MHz.

Put a Syntor X9000 in your car and program it with the correct PL's and you will never have to worry about not hearing someone, ever again.

PaulNDaOC

Having the same type antenna will not insure the same reception as a CHP unit on a commercial radio. Some scanners have really good sensitivity but its still not the same as Motorola.

kandrey89

Feed Provider
I get the best reception as far as distance goes on the 42000 and 4400. on the 700 that appears to be very close in range.

WTF are you talking about? 42000, 4400, 700.

I really think it's not my scanner reception or antenna reception now, I think it's antenna tower placement and field of view. I can receive Khaki channel at Dumbarton Bridge clearer than at Dougherty/580. It's not even funny how bad the reception is around Foothill/San Ramon. Everything between 680 and the peak of the mountain is in the shadow of the mountain. They placed the towers to cover both sides but the mountain is wide, so the shadow at the base of the mountain is large.

PaulNDaOC

I would look in the direction of it being a scanner issue, not an antenna one. Maybe there is a localized interference issue in that stretch of freeway that your radio doesnt deal with too well. (Not unusual) The same thing won't bother a CHP radio.

As previously stated scanners are not built to Motorola specs and are subject to interference on various freqs at unpredictable locations...and so on.

(Anybody remember having to use mirror freqs in old scanners that weren't triple conversion due to terrible intermod?, then there were the birdies.)

kandrey89

Feed Provider
By the way, the direct talk makes sense, in terms of quality of transmission. The direct talk was always so much cleaner than dispatcher, I was wondering if the unit was really close or was it because of other factors, now I know that it's because it doesn't go through their repeater tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.