South Florida store for scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twentyonetwelve

Premium Subscriber
Is there a store anywhere in South Florida to see / test a scanner. Does anyone keep these in stock? I keep reading pros and cons for these scanners and would like to see them in person before buying. Everything is online.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I bought a Uniden scanner a few years ago from Mike's Electronics because I was in a pinch and couldn't wait for shipping.

CALL MIKE before going there to ask what he has in stock, if anything.

It's costly to keep expensive boxes in stock that don't move quickly, so call him first before you go out there. He's tucked under the jetwash of Fort Lauderdale Executive airport 2 blocks west of Powerline Road.

twentyonetwelve

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Bote,
I have previously tried Mike's and he referred me to Bells CB however none in stock there either. Just seems like the manufacturers would allow 1 in each store as a sample. I'll keep looking.

Some reviews of the scanners do cause concern: mushy buttons, bad audio, etc... If I could test these features, I'm sure I would make a decision quickly. My local PD went to P25 P2 and my trunking scanner is no longer applicable. Thanks again.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Most of the current crop of P25 P2 scanners are very complex. Assuming that they were available locally, spending only a few minutes with each one probably wouldn't tell you much - even if you read the manuals beforehand. Of the criticisms I've read on-line, the lion's share seem to be very specific to the users pre-conceived ideas of how they feel that the scanner SHOULD work and/or gripes regarding minor items.

I guess the reality is that only a small handful of P2 scanners are available, so you don't have all that many choices. Read the reviews and on-line manuals and get opinons from other users to determine which models best meet your needs - then pays your money and takes your chances. I don't think that the perfect scanner (all things to all people) is available just yet. :)

Best of luck,

John

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
We live in an age in which you can buy a cell phone and be talking or texting 5 minutes later.

The appliance operators buying these scanners become bamboozled because they can't turn it on and instantly start hearing exactly what they want so they write disparaging reviews of the scanners. This reflects more on the reviewer than the scanner.

N4KVE

We live in an age in which you can buy a cell phone and be talking or texting 5 minutes later.

The appliance operators buying these scanners become bamboozled because they can't turn it on and instantly start hearing exactly what they want so they write disparaging reviews of the scanners. This reflects more on the reviewer than the scanner.
Years ago in Ft. Lauderdale, several Radio Shacks had employees who were able to get a newly purchased scanner up, & running with all the local info for $20. Doesn't Radio Shack still sell scanners?

twentyonetwelve

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for replying. I have no problem with programming the radios myself or downloading from RR. Definitely into that side of it.

I really just wanted to check the hardware of some of the units. Spongy/hard to press buttons, low level display, audio quality, etc....hardware type issues. I found out there is a hamfest coming to town that may have some scanners.

CanesFan95

As big as it is, the last couple times I went to Hsmcation in Orlando, they didn't seem to have any new scanners on display.

Status
Not open for further replies.