Space Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

Is there enough interest for a forum on space-based communications?

It could cover such things as shuttles, communication satellites, space mission support comms, weather satellites, ham radio satellites, or other space related communications that can be heard on HF receivers or scanners.

I usually argue against new forums that I think would be redundant. This area seems to be relatively uncovered and does not appear to fit neatly into any existing category. I could be wrong. :wink:

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
Good idea.

Possible name : Aerospace Radio Discussion Forum

Do we have any NASA people on board in RR.com ?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
There's not really much that changes in the space monitoring field though... Shuttle comms are only heard on takeoff and reentry and only if your on the east coast or west coast. All known HF freq's that rebroadcast NASA TV are listed, things are pretty static in that field.

kma371

QRT
rdale said:
There's not really much that changes in the space monitoring field though... Shuttle comms are only heard on takeoff and reentry and only if your on the east coast or west coast. All known HF freq's that rebroadcast NASA TV are listed, things are pretty static in that field.

Not entirely true. I beleive the EVA comms are monitorable as well.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
They used to but I thought they changed to a digital connection when they added helmet cams, but you may be correct.

In any case, hardly seems enough traffic in the main forum on sat's to require a new one.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
rdale said:
In any case, hardly seems enough traffic in the main forum on sat's to require a new one.
I would agree.

Regarding sats - I do a fair amount of sat monitoring (milsats, ISS, conduct amateur sat QSOs), and amsat.org along with the well-established hearsat mailing list has this area covered.

D

DaveNF2G

eorange said:
amsat.org along with the well-established hearsat mailing list has this area covered.

So..... which one of those is carried on RadioReference?

Your observation seems irrelevant to a discussion about adding a forum here. Am I missing something?

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
DaveNF2G said:
Am I missing something?
Yes. The hearsat mailing list is a forum that covers satellite comms very well. Many experts contribute there daily. It is the go-to place for that kind of topic.

Conversely, I see little activity on radioreference regarding satellite and space-related topics. So my opinion is such a forum here may not be the best use of limited forum resources.

D

DaveNF2G

That's what I was thinking.

I'm not going to get into debates or try to "sell" the idea any further. I've made the suggestion and whatever LB decides to do will be fine. If the forum gets added, I'll read it and contribute anything I might find out. If not, then no problem.

W8OSP

Well i myself do ALOT of ISS work, packet, voice and what ever else, plus tryin other sats aswell. i do monitor alot of stuff aswell, i think its a great idea!

atwageman

I think it would be a great forum addition. I monitor space station comms as well as shuttle and anything the russians send up.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just to add this - I have constructed a basic SATCOM wiki page which, due to the low volume of links I had (and some came from eorange), combines Amateur sats with some of the military stuff. If there's enough links and interest, that page could be split between the 2 - if someone is willing to sit down and code the links.

The page, as we have it now, can be found here...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/SATCOM

If a forum is indeed opened up on this subject, we should put this link into a sticky.

73s Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.