Space Shuttle Freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
No, but if you check the space forum you'll find a list of ham repeaters that rebroadcast NASA TV audio. Best bet is to go direct to http://www.nasa.gov and listen in there.

dosboot

I was think more of being able to hear the shuttle talk to lunch control are mission control after the shuttl get up.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Understood - that's why I said no. All comms are digital / satellite based after the shuttle is up.

kma371

QRT
You can try 259.700 AM. It's used after liftoft. YOu may be outside of the footprint for it though. It is also used during re-entry.

K0ATC

The rebroadcasts from the ham bands will have air to ground in the clear. Find a repeater near you that is rebroadcasting, sometimes via IRLP or Echolink and you will be able to hear air to ground after liftoff. There is also rebroadcasts on the HF bands if your capable.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
"The rebroadcasts from the ham bands will have air to ground in the clear."

Not correct - there is no rebroadcast of shuttle comms in the clear. Only available feeds are through NASA TV which adds a commentator.

K0ATC

ok, durring the last launch there was, and it was stated that it would be the same for this launch. Im not sure which rebroadcast you were listening to.

K0ATC

When the shuttle is above the horizon, air-to-ground voice on the UHF band can be heard either on 259.7 mhz or 296.8 mhz. It will, of course, be necessary to know if and when the Space Shuttle will be above the horizon at your location. Unless you are near a NASA tracking station, you will hear only the "downlink," or one side of the conversation, which will be the astronauts talking to ground controllers. Initial contact is through S-band digital comm's but then switched over. You only miss a couple of minutes of TX. There are many HAM's, in the area of the launch that rebroadcast these air to ground communications over HF and IRLP/Echolink repeater systems. And try to be a bit more friendly :) Yes and no answers never helped anyone give some details :)

K0ATC

Dosboot,

Here is a good site to go to for the information I was talking about.

http://home.flash.net/~av8tor/radios/shuttle.htm

These are the Hams that do the rebroadcasts, you will here the NASA tv stuff that rdale was talking about, and you will also hear the UHF air to ground frequencies as I stated earlyer. Good luck!

rdale

Premium Subscriber
"Unless you are near a NASA tracking station, you will hear only the "downlink," or one side of the conversation, which will be the astronauts talking to ground controllers. Initial contact is through S-band digital comm's but then switched over."

Again make sure you are clear - this is only during launch and landing. There are no monitorable shuttle/ground comms when it is in orbit since all is done via satellite direct. The only thing you might hear are some snippets of an EVA on the UHF freqs.

K0ATC

Dale the point is that you can hear air to ground communications. You told dosboot that there is no way on gods green earth that you could.

rdale said:
Not correct - there is no rebroadcast of shuttle comms in the clear. Only available feeds are through NASA TV which adds a commentator.

I corrected you and gave Dosboot a link to the information, no need to be short or rude with people. And no need to snap at me. Sorry for upsetting you, I just wanted to make sure he had the chance to hear the shuttle.

Dosboot, if you need more info let me know through a PM, I dont think its nessesary to post here anymore.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Relax, nobody's being short here.

I told him that he could get a NASA TV rebroadcast of all shuttle to ground comms, he said that wasn't what he was looking for because he wanted direct. I posted that direct is impossible - you went on with other methods of hearing the shuttle but it still doesn't reflect his desire to hear the shuttle direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.