• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Speaking Of Ground Planes

kingshootr

Premium Subscriber
I made what I think is a decent score off Marketplace - a President Johnson II CB and a Stryker SRA-10 antenna for $125 total.

Would the roof of my soon-to-be steel building make a decent ground plane, or are ground planes supposed to be a certain size to "work"?

Screenshot-20240325-090628.png

Screenshot-20240325-090643.png

kingshootr

Premium Subscriber
I hear CB is a dying hobby so I wasn't up to spending too much $ on setting it up - it's mostly for curiosity I guess. I'm not saying a base antenna is out of the running - any suggestions or ideas on ones you like?

As far as cash, I still want a couple monitors for the SDR scanner dongles/computers - for now I'd just soon get those first.

signalhound

I hear CB is a dying hobby so I wasn't up to spending too much $ on setting it up - it's mostly for curiosity I guess. I'm not saying a base antenna is out of the running - any suggestions or ideas on ones you like?

As far as cash, I still want a couple monitors for the SDR scanner dongles/computers - for now I'd just soon get those first.
Hi there kingshootr, I am new to online forums on the topic of radio. It's a little overcast today and not too sunny but getting warmer as each day pases and we move into spring time. I do not hear much about CB but I could see that it could be a dying hobby as there are all of those hand held smart phone devices and interntet webites that the go to ar maybe one has nothing to with the other. I don't know if I have ever liked any radio service be it Cb. HAM, LMR or what have you but to be honest I thnk that "curious" is a better word to how I feel about 2-way radios, the operation thereof and the scince of the electronics of them and radio wave propagation. I sort of still have curisosity towards CB radiio and Ham radio and freeband radio, by that I mean the extra channels that some radios in th 1980's had, above channle 40 approaching the 10 meter ham band. The reason these days why I may not be as active as I could be, I mean operating on the air and learning the technology and science is becasue i am not sure about all of the equipment out there now. I have heard by word of mouth that "it is all 'Made in China" now. I am not sure how to interpret that when I was a teenager, I could read on the back of some gear: Made in Japan, Made in Taiwan, or somehting like a CPI 2000 "Proudly made in the USA" So now that it is all Made in China I sort of hesitate when I consider buying gear because of the quality issue and quality versus price issue. I can't help but sort of wonder if things were more fair and competetive when gear was made in different places and therefore resulting in better qulaity equipment at a better price for us consumers then as opposed to now everyting being "Made in China" I am curious at to any comment.

slowmover

There is still a lot of people using CB, especially with the solar max we are in.

Channel 19 is not as popular on the road.

The Active Denial Team at work on AM-19 aren’t as successful as is thought. Just because they are loud doesn’t mean local comms is broken.

The truly bad radio rigs, well, yeah.

OP, a good mobile antenna. A repackaged Wilson 5000. An “okay” radio in performance (obsolete design).

A proper antenna for use from home is what’s missing.

CB be dead is only true if believed.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
A large percentage, if not most, electronics are produced in China, with varying levels of quality. The iPhone is made in China, as an example of the quality that can be provided.

Sticking with the well known brands is a good start, as most of those companies want to keep their reputation.

signalhound

A large percentage, if not most, electronics are produced in China, with varying levels of quality. The iPhone is made in China, as an example of the quality that can be provided.

Sticking with the well known brands is a good start, as most of those companies want to keep their reputation.
Hi Krokus, hey thanks for this message. It is really motivating and inspiring and I think that there is a lot of good advice in it. I will be especially aware to sticl to the well known brands. Thanks again! 73's Paul.

N4KVE

Just because a product is made in China doesn’t necessarily mean it’s junk. Like krokus said, “look at Apple”. It all boils down to how much $ the US importer is willing to pay. The reason so many products are made there is to save $ due to the low parts, & labor costs to make products there. But if the US importer is willing to pay more, the parts quality goes up, & the product will be as good as one made here. But then why go to China?