N9JIG

Sheriff
For the coax drops you can consider what I did in my last home: I put the coax hole in the corner of the room and then framed and drywalled a corner box. Later when I repainted the room it was painted to match. There was a slot set under the desktop height for the cables to come out so one never saw any cables.

Look in the center of the pic, directly behind the far right cabinet for the cable chase: (The2014 version of my shack in the old house)
corner2.jpg

Last edited:

ThreatLevelMidnight

Premium Subscriber
For the coax drops you can consider what I did in my last home: I put the coax hole in the corner of the room and then framed and drywalled a corner box. Later when I repainted the room it was painted to match. There was a slot set under the desktop height for the cables to come out so one never saw any cables.

Look in the center of the pic, directly behind the far right cabinet for the cable chase: (The2014 version of my shack in the old house)
View attachment 154057
Now THAT is a collection!

ThreatLevelMidnight

Premium Subscriber
Wanted to add an update to this thread... When I first posted it, I noted that I really wanted to clean up the cable management underneath the desk, because I had the power strips sitting on the floor. It caused a cluttered feel.

I've added a few things to the setup to help with this. I purchased these magnetic mounts on Amazon. I mounted them to the cable management boxes on the rear of the desk, so they can stick to the steel frame of the desk with magnets. I did the same with the power strips...
1.png
2.png

I initially did this with double sided Gorilla Tape, which worked for about 24 hours and then it fell off. No hate on the gorilla tape, in fact it's my favorite double sided tape, it just wasn't strong enough for this application.

If you look at the photos in the first post, you can see some coax and CAT5 cables hanging from my ceiling. I removed it in the edits of the photos so it didn't look so awful, but I was able to purchase a cable spine and clean up the look quite a bit. With how my attic is setup, it's not possible to easily drop them behind the wall and pop them out behind the desk.
4.png

Here's the floor under the desk after adding these magnetic mounts and cleaning up the cable management a bit, feels like a night and day difference to me...
3.png
Looks even better! Great Work!

Jl942264

Premium Subscriber

Look in the center of the pic, directly behind the far right cabinet for the cable chase: (The2014 version of my shack in the old ho

View attachment 154057
Where'd you get those slanted racks?

lhillin

I viewed the website for the desktop racks, but I did not see any faceplates available. Did you make your own faceplates?

N9JIG

Sheriff
The faceplates in the pic from my old shack are from JottoDesk, and the panels were custom made by NorthComm.

These days I mostly use panels from Novexcomm, custom made for my needs. The scanners use DIN sleeves.