• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Spectra+ Deviation Balance Tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlball

When I try to perform the Deviation Balance (Compensation) test, by the book or as described in this forum, I run into an issue. The Low transmission doesn't yield usable Deviation values to compare the High transmission to. Where it says "wait approximately five seconds for the signal to stabilize", my radios simply don't stabilize, even when left until the Tuner software times out its PTT Keyup.

I'm using a fairly new Aeroflex (Viavi now I guess) 8800SX. It handles everything else for tuning the Spectras without issue.

Rx Info
(Test Freq IE 173.9875 MHz)
FM Demod
12.5k Intermediate Freq Bandwidth
T/R Port
Auto Automatic Gain Control
None or 15k LP Audio Freq Bandwidth
0 Offset
Preamp Off

tlball

Update:
Looking through my options, I realized a better AFBW option available is 20-5k Bandpass. This has not helped resolve the underlying issue.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
One of the classic symptoms of Spectra cap failure is the low speed data goes to pot. You may be a victim.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

Can you manually run the soft pot values through its range to see if the low tone ramps up?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

One of the classic symptoms of Spectra cap failure is the low speed data goes to pot. You may be a victim.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Are all Spectras doomed?

RFI-EMI-GUY

This should tell you everything you need to know (and then some). Recapping the Spectra
I have a UHF I re capped over 15 years ago. The audio still pops, though the distortion is gone. I think I have a tantalum in backwards. At the time the 10uf/16V were the main culprits. The UHF radio spent its life in my van in hot Florida weather operating 3 to 4 hours a day. I have an 800 radio, that still works well. Spent its life monitoring a trunk system on a sporadic basis in the AC of the house. Maybe it's command board is worth swapping.

What I really want is an ASTRO Spectra specifically with DES 56 Securenet.

com501

If you have the thing apart, it's easy to replace ALL the electrolytics. Don't just cherry pick.

techman210

If you have the thing apart, it's easy to replace ALL the electrolytics. Don't just cherry pick.

That’s absolutely true. It only takes a few minutes to remove the 9 or so capacitors. Do them all at once.

If you see signs of capacitor leakage on the printed circuit board, it’s just not about replacing the electrolytics.

Sometimes you have to verify, and if necessary, rebuild circuit traces on the board – because leaking capacitor’s will also dissolve and corrode some of the copper traces.

Remove the caps, and then ohm-out all the traces nearby. Install jumpers on top of the traces as necessary. Clean them with alcohol or solder flux remover, THEN install the capacitors.

tlball

Back to the original topic, I found a workaround using the O-Scope function with a cable from Audio out to Audio in. The O-scope was able to resolve the Low transmission into readable data. Comparing the Peak-Peak (or simply the Peak because the waves are uniform Sines), I was able to compare to the High transmission values.

Apparently a relatively simple O-Scope would be better for this test than advanced technology. Let me put on my shocked face.

Status
Not open for further replies.