• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Spectra Programming Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdatkinson

Trying to program a Spectra VHF Conventional and am encountering the following:

1). When on the mode config screen in RSS, I press F6 to look at the scanlist and I get a beep and in the upper right-hand corner it says, "Scan Not Enabled." I don't see anything mode specific to enable scan. Under radio-wide, Scan Options (F6), I have everything enabled. Also if I go to Zone List (F7) and then F7 again for Scan List, I can specify which channels are in each zone. What I'm looking to do is setup scan lists for each zone and have them user programmable.

2). The radio is actually an A7, but when I read it into RSS its an A5. I can't find any options in RSS to change the head type. The control head type is set to Enhanced, but when I go to program the buttons, it still only shows those buttons from an A5.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I've fought similar problems, some successfully, some not. What's the actual model number and MLM version?

It sounds like the head may not be original with the radio. That may be difficult or impossible to fix if you don't have lab software. I've found that I've had to correct that before I can address the scanning issues. IIRC, in at least one case, merely using the proper head fixed the scanning problems I was having.

In resolving my scan issues, I had to bitbang the radio to match the head, and then enable the proper moflag bits. Even that didn't work on some earlier MLM versions.

If none of the above made any sense, visit Batlabs.com.

wdatkinson

The codeplug is for a model D43KXA7JA5BK, but the actual physical serial number attached to the radio is D43KMA7JA5BK. From what I can tell about the model numbers the code plug that is in it is for a secure radio. I have no outward indication that this is a secure equipped unit.

I'll check out the link from batlabs regarding the moflags, as I'm not familiar with that.

I'm also not sure how to determine the MML version?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Ok. Part of your problem is that the model number is for a radio with an A5 head. If it has an A7 head, it's not going to play right. The MLM version can be read either on a label on the MLM board, or in RSS (WHILE you're connected to the radio) via the help screen, then "more help".

It's possible to change the model number, and the moflag bits to make it an A7, but here again, you need lab software to do that.

wdatkinson

Great.... Wouldn't it be possible to find a codeplug from the correct model number, and then edit/upload it?

I re-read the codeplug, then hit help and other help (F9) to get the version screen. I don't see anything specific to MLM. I do see the following if it helps:

Sftw Ver: 6.06
EE Ver: 115

There are cable part numbers, manual numbers, RIB part numbers on that screen.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The MLM firmware version is 6.06. That's good. As I understand it, 6.xx and above had just about every available feature.

I've never tried to force a head change by uploading a different codeplug. You're likely to just get an error if yoou have standard RSS. The lab version lets you force it in anyway. But that might not solve the problem, because the data lives in several areas of the radio. I think Batlabs has something to say about changing control heads, so I'd check there.

If all else fails, you may solve a lot of problems by putting an A5 head back on the radio.

CCHLLM

For the benefit of others here, I'll sorta address this from the standpoint that you haven't gotten as far as you have.

Without forcing the Control Head change in Lab software, the A7 codeplug isn't going to change anything in the original head setup. There's probably no field change allowed in the Control Head Type, depending on the version of software you have. With no other changes, the A7 head will function on the A5 radio as an A5 head since the actual control head boards are the same, and as long as the corresponding A5/A7 buttons are programmed the same as if it were an A5, everything will be OK. You probably already knew all that, but the A7 head does have the Recall button, and it functions in the Scan Program mode regardless of the A5 or A7 codeplug status.

If you have Zone Operation enabled, you have to go to >F8 Scan Options from the Zone List page to set up the scan functions, otherwise you get the "Scan Not Enabled" message. According to your post, you're going to the F7 Scan List page from the Zone List page, but I think you're missing the F8 Scan Options (Zone Scan Options) page which is accessed from the Zone List page, too, and is where the actual scan setup is done. Maybe your software version is different than mine, so if the F8 Scan Options isn't available to you from that page, I don't know what else may help. Also, for multiple zone operation, make sure you've programmed Zone Up and Zone Down buttons. Just checking ...... personal experience made me say that.

Anyway, here's the skinny on the process, most of which you've covered.
From the Change/View page > F2 Radio Wide > F6 Scan Options and set those options, then F10 back to Radio Wide.

From Radio Wide, > F7 Zone List > F8 Scan Options. Disable Talk Back Scan or be prepared to take the "operator malfunction" consequences. :D Make Scan Button Control "Active", Coded Squelch Scan "Enabled", and decide what SCAN TYPE you want. I prefer "Pri Tlkgr", and both Non-Priority and Priority Lists set to "Op Select", and I think that's what you're after. F10 back to Zone Name List page.

If you want to initially set up the Zone Scan Lists in the RSS, from the Zone Name page, >F7 Scan List, or you can wait and do that from the control head. Hope all this helps.

Last edited:

wdatkinson

That helps alot. Thanks.

For the record, this wasn't an A5 radio that I just slapped the A7 head on. It came as a whole unit with the A7 head. I didn't know it was an A5 until I loaded the codeplug in RSS and tried to configure the buttons, and I noticed that I just had three buttons on the right-hand side of the head.

So it is possible to force a head change with the lab software?

Status
Not open for further replies.