Splitter/ Amp ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoser147

Well I got my antenna mounted and grounded and the coax RG 8 ran and I know im very close to the 50ft mark. I ordered an electrolyne spliter so I can run it to different rooms in the house. Where is the best place to put the Splitter/amp in the attic or the basement? would it work best closer to the antenna? Or does it matter? Thanks in Advance for the info. Good Scannin.....Hoser147

RISC777

hoser147 said:
Well I got my antenna mounted and grounded and the coax RG 8 ran and I know im very close to the 50ft mark. I ordered an electrolyne spliter so I can run it to different rooms in the house. Where is the best place to put the Splitter/amp in the attic or the basement? would it work best closer to the antenna? Or does it matter? Thanks in Advance for the info. Good Scannin.....Hoser147
Hoser,

It won't matter as far as it working or not, but wouldn't you think it would be better for it to be as close to the antenna as possible so you're amplifying any line noise from the feedline run? Just a thought.

`Doug

hoser147

ya i was kinda concernd with overload on scanners if I went to the basement. my upstairs is finished and I dont think that heat will be a conern I have A/C and 2 attic fans That is why Im asking the Pro,s here on RR for all your input, so keep it coming guys Thanks hoser147

K8PBX

Generally, close to the antenna would be best.

What model number of Electroline splitter are you using? Perhaps we can look at the specs.

K8PBX

hoser147 said:
Its an EDA 4 G Electroline spliter/amp sorry for the delay at git en back to you........hoser147
Couldn't seem to find any specs on that model, but the Electroline stuff usually has good tolerance for both heat & cold. Most are actually outdoor rated.

I'm curious about just how much amplification the unit you have provides. More is not always better in this type of scenario. I like the Electroline brand for quality, but I'm pretty partial to the UG-2802 and UG-2402 models - which only amplify enough to compensate for the splits. I've used them for years with great success to share antennas to multiple scanners.

Can't hurt to try what you've got. You never know. Might work like a champ. Either way, I'd still put it near the antenna and have it be accessible in case you decide to swap it out for a different model (in the event you encounter over-amplification).

gcgrotz

I can't resist hoser147...

Every project I do is an ongoing project!

But do let us know, I'm interested in that Electroline, I'd never heard of it before.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
hoser147 said:
Its an EDA 4 G Electroline spliter/amp sorry for the delay at git en back to you........hoser147

I have one of those(EDA 4 G) and find it works amazing. Also have the UG-2402 that Steve uses and works just as well!
Take care

Status
Not open for further replies.