Spokane County Digital Communications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scaseyjordan

I have been listening to what should be Cheney Police on 154.7250 but have been periodically hearing long bursts of data. I also have not been hearing voice from Cheney PD recently. Does anybody know if they have started using digital (perhaps P25) modulation for some (or all) of their communcations?

If they have, can you tell me if it's an encrypted digital or just P25 digital?

I am hoping I am not the only one hearing this. If it is true, then I am going to have to up my plans to get a P25 capable scanner. I know if it's encrypted I am out of luck, but hopefully it's not. I am very eager to experiment with reception of digital signals, but there are very few in this area, not enough to warrant the cost of a '996xt.

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
No Cheney has not gone digital yet.
What you are hearing is Pend Oreile County WA Dispatch
on the adjacent narrowband 154.7175 repeater on your
wideband scanner.

Spokane

tmfok7

If your scanner has CTCSS...and I remember correctly... use the Tone of 192.8 with CPD and that should eleminate the adjacent channel interference from P.O. County. A side note to this... I was told by someone that Pend O'Reille County has gone P25 with encryption capability!?

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Talking of Digital new Spokane

No Cheney has not gone digital yet.
What you are hearing is Pend Oreile County WA Dispatch
on the adjacent narrowband 154.7175 repeater on your
wideband scanner.

Spokane
Does anyone know what the outcome was of the tender issued for a 700 MHZ Apco 25 Radio system for Spokane county/city was. ? who got it, is it a go ?

SCPD

QRT
I have been listening to what should be Cheney Police on 154.7250 but have been periodically hearing long bursts of data. I also have not been hearing voice from Cheney PD recently. Does anybody know if they have started using digital (perhaps P25) modulation for some (or all) of their communcations?

If they have, can you tell me if it's an encrypted digital or just P25 digital?

I am hoping I am not the only one hearing this. If it is true, then I am going to have to up my plans to get a P25 capable scanner. I know if it's encrypted I am out of luck, but hopefully it's not. I am very eager to experiment with reception of digital signals, but there are very few in this area, not enough to warrant the cost of a '996xt.

From what I read Cheney PD two talkgroups on the new radio system will not be encrypted, just P25. SCSO will have at least 6 - P25 talkgroups and 2 encrypted talkgroups available in Cheney, big question will Cheney PD be able access SCSO talkgroups that include encryption??

scaseyjordan

That's odd...

Thanks for the link, and you are correct its a 800 Mhz system with 700 Mhz potential

Quite odd that they would end up with only five sites. The request for bids quoted quite a few more sites. I have heard about the county techs being very excited about having the possibility of more sites and more frequencies. I guess it got pared down. Perhaps they went 800 MHz due to the proximity of a 700 MHz site just over the border on Mica Peak, ID. If proximity were a problem, though, I would think the 800 MHz Spokane Transit Trunking system would be a problem. Makes me want to know even more.

Perhaps just a way to get started with plans on expanding down the road.

I might take this with a grain of salt and see what happens. Something doesn't seem right with this license as compared to the request for quote. I did hear a confirmation that they went with Motorola. I am sure that will come as a "big surprise" to everyone. Not that there's anything wrong with Motorola.

CJ

kd7kdc

Banned
Yes, the bid went to Motorola.

Steve

scaseyjordan

Possible Spokane County P25 Control Channel...

The company I work for recently purchased a digital scanner (BCD996XT). I was going through some 800 MHz licenses looking for control channels and heard one at 851.1875. I punched it into the scanner and found a P25 Control Channel with SID 0001h-0101. I am sure it was P25 as I tried regular trunking in the setup and the scanner did not lock on to the signal as a control channel. As mentioned in previous posts, there are newly licensed facilities through WQMA993 in the FCC database, but I had not heard if anybody found anything there.

I will keep an ear to the scanner to see if I hear anything come across it or see any talkgroups logged. I was very excited to hear a new P25 control channel in Spokane County. I have been told, though, that we won't hear much on it until some time around 2nd Quarter 2011. Bummer.

Please inform me if I have misinterpreted this observation. I tend to get excited when I think I might have something new in my scanner. :)

weco12

The bid went to Motorola (Money-Ola), but Spokane County techs were adament that Day Wireless have NOTHING to do with implementing the system.

The last news I heard from there was that the 700/800 system would be linked to the current VHF system so outside agencies can communicate. In looking over their frequencies I think they should have just went VHF P25 trunking. They certainly have enough channels!

kd7kdc

Banned
Control channel noise

The buzzing with the blip is a bit stream to guage Bit Error Ratio
using specialized equipment from various areas around the city
and county.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.