Sputnik in the sunset

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

VGSMC_8520

Anyone in AZ have love for the the venerable Radio Shack 20-176 "Sputnik" antenna?

xVbDeMJ.jpg

One of the best bangs for your buck I've found; I use it as my SDR antenna, and it performs excellent on VHF & UHF, acceptably on 800 MHz.

Also in the pic, yet another great winter sunset here in Phoenix.

V

VGSMC_8520

Great setup! Nice and high up too! :)

About 150' up. Unfortunately nothing but thick concrete immediately behind the direction the photo is looking, but nearly a 180 degree line of sight for many miles from the NW to NE. The Sputnik antenna receives all the analog and digital systems in Phoenix very well, and I'm hearing the surrounding counties pretty good too. Despite the less than ideal location on a condo balcony, the height really helps.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I have one in the attic. I could take a picture, but the rafters and insulation in the background would not look as nice. :)

It's a great, cheap antenna to help out with VHF fire reception.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
I've had two of these over the years and love them. They work fine for what I need!

And hey, can you show us a picture of how you get the coax cables through the wall, door, window, etc, into your condo???

Mike

V

VGSMC_8520

I've had two of these over the years and love them. They work fine for what I need!

And hey, can you show us a picture of how you get the coax cables through the wall, door, window, etc, into your condo???

Mike

Sure, not very pretty, but nobody has to see it. I have three antennas on the balcony railing, and I ran the coax along the rail and over to the sliding door. I was able to snake the cable between the window and door and run it inside like this:

qwoQQ1X.jpg

o2FuTfG.jpg

Going to have to rip it out this week to get the sliding glass door repaired/replaced. It's ~50 years old and doesn't like to slide open/closed anymore.. Might be a good time to replace everything with continuous runs of RG-6 and get rid of those couplers I have on two of the lines.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
That's a good way of doing it - I didn't think of that when I asked you. I wasn't sure with it being an apartment/condo if you would be able to drill through the wall or not.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.