SR30C just arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanZor

Just a few comments about the new SR30C I like as compared to the older BC75xlt.

No review, since it is basically a 75xlt with more memory channels per bank.

However, there is an important aspect to the case styling I'd like to see brought to the BC125 / 325 to help them look more like a tool and not a retro toy. Which I also own, so no disrespect! :)

1) The slight V-shape grill over the speaker is a nicer modern touch, but what it MOST important about it is that there is a centerline-ridge that juts out slightly towards the operator. What I'd truly like to see is to bring that centerline ridge out towards the op just a little more AND provide that same centerline ridge jutting out towards the op at the top of the case just above the Uniden logo.

Why? If the centerlines were brought out just a little more, they would help provide a "face rocker" for when the unit is inadvertently placed face-down, or if it falls, protecting both the keys and the great screen just a little bit. It may also help prevent wall-scrapes when actually using the belt hook.

2) The PGM and CLR keys have been swapped in position. GREAT. Makes more sense to me as the simplicity of the SR30C lends itself to hand-programming a lot. At least for me, which I enjoy.

3) Aesthetics - yeah, purely objective, but the brown bezel around the screen with the black case is kind of a classier look than the all-black 75xlt. It's a small thing but noticeable.

That's basically it. Very happy with it for what it is. Although not specific to this model, I'd love to see Uniden provide some screen protectors rather than the wrist-loop which gets immediately thrown away.

New toy syndrome: I *think* I can hear some sort of audio improvement in overall audio frequency response, slight - but welcome. Yeah, probably new-toy syndrome. :)

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Looking at comparison chart on Amazon, I think you still get more bang for your buck with the BC125AT. They even knocked the price down to $85 on Amazon (for the 125AT). I guess if you wanted to upgrade from the 75XLT and did not need added milair and alpha-tags, then the SR30C is a good bump up. All depends on what you like, I suppose. Have fun with it!

It mentions the SR30C is computer programmable. What software do you intend to use?

Bob1955

Just a few comments about the new SR30C I like as compared to the older BC75xlt.

No review, since it is basically a 75xlt with more memory channels per bank.

However, there is an important aspect to the case styling I'd like to see brought to the BC125 / 325 to help them look more like a tool and not a retro toy. Which I also own, so no disrespect! :)

1) The slight V-shape grill over the speaker is a nicer modern touch, but what it MOST important about it is that there is a centerline-ridge that juts out slightly towards the operator. What I'd truly like to see is to bring that centerline ridge out towards the op just a little more AND provide that same centerline ridge jutting out towards the op at the top of the case just above the Uniden logo.

Why? If the centerlines were brought out just a little more, they would help provide a "face rocker" for when the unit is inadvertently placed face-down, or if it falls, protecting both the keys and the great screen just a little bit. It may also help prevent wall-scrapes when actually using the belt hook.

2) The PGM and CLR keys have been swapped in position. GREAT. Makes more sense to me as the simplicity of the SR30C lends itself to hand-programming a lot. At least for me, which I enjoy.

3) Aesthetics - yeah, purely objective, but the brown bezel around the screen with the black case is kind of a classier look than the all-black 75xlt. It's a small thing but noticeable.

That's basically it. Very happy with it for what it is. Although not specific to this model, I'd love to see Uniden provide some screen protectors rather than the wrist-loop which gets immediately thrown away.

New toy syndrome: I *think* I can hear some sort of audio improvement in overall audio frequency response, slight - but welcome. Yeah, probably new-toy syndrome. :)
For the money, the Bearcat BC-125AT has many more features. You need ctcss/dcs/alpha tagging! I feel the SR30C make ZERO sense in Uniden's lineup but enjoy your new handheld scanner.

nanZor

I'm wondering about the pricing myself, also owning a 125at. I'd love to see it re-cased with this new look - and maybe Uniden might take my suggestions about the center-ridge being more prominent for key/screen protection if/when they do.

Then again, maybe for some, the less options to get confused by, the better.

Audio - it was very hard to detect, but I noticed that one of my old tricks of trying to "tune" the speaker grill with painter's tape to slightly provide a low pass rolloff over one or two rows of holes without totally putting a pillow over the speaker may have been done accidentally here!

Compared to the '75, the v-shape grill covers what would have been the topmost row of holes - which may provide that slight - and I mean *slight* difference in audio flatness. For the better I think, but still this may be psychological. More testing needed! :)

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
It all boils down to what you like and what works for you as to your location and what you like to monitor. I agree with what you say, for some the less options the better if you don't need all the bells and whistles. Looks like a nice scanner.

nanZor

I'm happy to report that the SR30C is built just as well as the 75xlt. That is, there is that same great button tactile feel and response. I've seen other manufacturer product refreshes that get all mushy, sloppier construction etc. Not so here - same nice build.

The receiver is still solid Uniden, triple conversion and all that. With a handheld scanner using a handheld-antenna, I don't actually *need* PL decode for group separation, and don't use PL for interference rejection. What I usually do is simply run the squelch just one unit higher than normal on a Uniden with no PL. BUT, on an old-school double-conversion design, like the very low end Whistler 1010 handheld susceptible to images, I would have used PL solely for trying to mitigate image-conversion annoyances - but they don't have that on the low end models.. I remember still being shocked when GRE brought *back* the double-conversion design, but I digress...

Alpha Tags like the 125at would be nice. But, for what I use the SR30C for is mostly memorized or the traffic heard makes me recognize what it is. So for this application, I'm cool with no alphas.

I guess some might question why "refresh" the 75xlt at all? I'm glad they did, it makes a nice complement to my other rigs.

Bob1955

I'm happy to report that the SR30C is built just as well as the 75xlt. That is, there is that same great button tactile feel and response. I've seen other manufacturer product refreshes that get all mushy, sloppier construction etc. Not so here - same nice build.

The receiver is still solid Uniden, triple conversion and all that. With a handheld scanner using a handheld-antenna, I don't actually *need* PL decode for group separation, and don't use PL for interference rejection. What I usually do is simply run the squelch just one unit higher than normal on a Uniden with no PL. BUT, on an old-school double-conversion design, like the very low end Whistler 1010 handheld susceptible to images, I would have used PL solely for trying to mitigate image-conversion annoyances - but they don't have that on the low end models.. I remember still being shocked when GRE brought *back* the double-conversion design, but I digress...

Alpha Tags like the 125at would be nice. But, for what I use the SR30C for is mostly memorized or the traffic heard makes me recognize what it is. So for this application, I'm cool with no alphas.

I guess some might question why "refresh" the 75xlt at all? I'm glad they did, it makes a nice complement to my other rigs.
nanZor, they will probably refresh the Bearcat BC-125AT next.

Status
Not open for further replies.