srrcs is rebanding in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacscan

So post 218 that people have been quoting has been wrong this whole time?
I seriously doubt it. The bandplan in that post comes straight from Uniden's instructions for the rebanding firmware updates on all their scanners with that capability. That bandplan works fine in my scanners. However, a friend who lives in South Sac and has iffy Site 002 reception is also getting the transit chatter on A3. This is on a brand-new BCT15X. His new BCD996T, which I programmed with all law enforcement talkgroups, isn't having that problem.

Ben96cal

re: rebanding

I seriously doubt it. The bandplan in that post comes straight from Uniden's instructions for the rebanding firmware updates on all their scanners with that capability. That bandplan works fine in my scanners. However, a friend who lives in South Sac and has iffy Site 002 reception is also getting the transit chatter on A3. This is on a brand-new BCT15X. His new BCD996T, which I programmed with all law enforcement talkgroups, isn't having that problem.

I seem to have more issues with the system when the CC is 853.8750 and no issues when it's 853.8500....is there a difference between these 2 CC's that I'm not aware of?

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
The bandplan you quoted has an error. It should be:
1 851.0250 859.0000 440 + 25 kHz
Negative. The channel reassignments only apply to 851-854MHz. You do not want the scanner mistaking anything after 854 as a reassigned channel.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I think it depends on the exact scanner & f/w version

Negative. The channel reassignments only apply to 851-854MHz. You do not want the scanner mistaking anything after 854 as a reassigned channel.
This definitely an interesting issue as there are several aspects to it.
We're talking about this bandplan:
# BASE END OFFSET STEP
1 851.0250 859.0000 440 + 25 kHz
2 851.0125 868.9875 0 + 25 kHz

The scanner only receives a channel number (LCN) and does simple math to calculate the voice channel frequency. With one entry for LCN 0 and another for LCN 440 that should cover all rebanded 800 channels. No end channel or frequency is really needed; although some scanners want you to enter one. In this case, LCN 0 to 439 uses the first entry and LCN 440 and above uses the second entry. What should happen if the scanner receives an LCN of oh let's say 560?

Certainly LCN 560 takes you to an unused frequency in the rebanded 800 world, but that could be used during the rebanding process where both sets of channels are/were active.

In reality an LCN of 560 or more should never be received over a fully rebanded 800 system but how the scanner handles it varies. While 854.000 MHz is technically correct as the end frequency, it is my understanding that that does not work on some models. I don't personally have one of those models so I can't verify it.

For those that want to understand this issue more clearly or visually, I posted this PDF file some time ago which illustrates the conversion from LCN to frequency for Standard (non-rebanded), Splinter and Rebanded systems.

Last edited:

pvboy33

Traffic on wrong TG's - BCT 15

I have a BCT 15 that I updated with the new firmware. I'm hearing incorrect traffic on TG's and I think I'm missing actual traffic on programmed TG's. I most often hear the wrong traffic on the County Fire talkgroups, even hearing parking enforcement on A1. I also feel as though I'm missing traffic on Sheriff's 1 & 2, as I hear the dispatcher give responses to transmissions I didn't hear in the first place.

I've programmed the bandplan with both 854.0000 and 859.0000 to see if it made a difference, but I get the same result each time. Signal where I am is 5 of 5 and it happens on both the City and County systems. Anyone have ideas on what to try next? Anyone else having similar experiences?

Ben96cal

I get the same thing.. I think there's a post in the thread about it.. Farther away you are from the system the more prevalent this is.

kma371

QRT
I have a BCT 15 that I updated with the new firmware. I'm hearing incorrect traffic on TG's and I think I'm missing actual traffic on programmed TG's. I most often hear the wrong traffic on the County Fire talkgroups, even hearing parking enforcement on A1. I also feel as though I'm missing traffic on Sheriff's 1 & 2, as I hear the dispatcher give responses to transmissions I didn't hear in the first place.

I've programmed the bandplan with both 854.0000 and 859.0000 to see if it made a difference, but I get the same result each time. Signal where I am is 5 of 5 and it happens on both the City and County systems. Anyone have ideas on what to try next? Anyone else having similar experiences?

What version firmware are you using?

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
If u use freescan & import the database right from radioref you don't have to deal with any of this hassle

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
15$ ?
what's it worth to not have to sit for hours trying program and/or figure out why it doesnt work ?

when each system rebands - i import the new system from radioref into freescan and then copy paste the new system into the existing and delete the old one

when sac rebanded it took me about 1 min to update it

charlielinn

different problem since rebanding

I'm hearing the correct traffic ....except Sac City Fire has yet to be heard on any radio in my collection since re-banding was completed. Both older receivers only needed new freqs entered, and heard both systems just fine from the "gitgo". But even in "open" mode looking at all the TGs, no City Fire!
Is anyone else experiencing this? Have I missed someting in the database? Or just doing something
stupid? (wouldn't be the first time) heard 'e all before rebanding, so certainly is a mystery?? any ideas???...Thanx

Ben96cal

Here's an observation I've seen. The issues of having the machine gun CC sound pop up on Tg's and the radio traffic on the wrong TG seem to only happen when the CC is 853.8500. When it's 853.8750 it doesn't happen or very little. Are they any configuration or site differences between the 2 CC's that would cause this?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Sac City Fire

With the possible exception of dispatch (B1) at certain hours, it has been rare to see Sac City Fire TGs pop up on the county site. The frequency that city TGs pop up on the county has dropped significantly since rebanding.

If you're truly interested in Sac City Fire, with the exception of VHF dispatch, you'll need to monitor the CITY site. Same TG values just a different set of frequencies. The closest tower to Carmichael is near hwy 50 and 65th street.

charlielinn

sac fire

Thanx gmclam for the "comeback", that probably explains the lack of Sac City fire traffic being heard at
mi casa. I do sometimes listen to both city and county sites simultaneasly ( drives the wife nuts) but I'll sit on the city fire TG's on the city system and see what happens! Probably just a matter of not paying attention.
Thank you again..and by the way..I've lost track of the site locations for the Sac trunk system, where can I
get this info??

charlielinn

Site locations

thanx again!! gmclam.. and I did a little experiment earlier..found an old "UHF TV bow-tie reflector" portion of an old tv antenna... turned it vertical and mounted it on a short pipe. Works beautifully on the trunk system as it is so directional. Eliminated all of the "noise and scratchiness" and doubled the signal strength.
May just build one cut for the freq. My location is not so good for the city/county system..anything is an improvement. Thanks again!!!

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Carmichael in and of itself is not too bad. I am farther northeast of you in Fair Oaks. However, if you are at a low point in your neighborhood or something is obstructing in that direction, it will make reception not as good.

I am between the county repeater sites of station 21 and carpenter peak. For the city site I receive from the same site I directed you to near hwy 50 and 65th street. I have thought about a dedicated antenna for that site (using much like you have done) but opted for an amplifier from my discone for specifically that signal to specific scanners. Other scanners don't get that extra signal tuned for 860MHz UHF.

I am glad you got it working. If we have a local meeting this month, I hope to see you there. George

Status
Not open for further replies.