Standardized naming convention for sites??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technoguy58

Is there a standard to be used for naming of SITES on trunking systems?? I have seen building names, city or town names, mountain top names, tree names(not really....but close) and who knows what else?? Seems like it would be easier if there was a consistent site naming standard. Also, a 2nd question. On the site listings (per system), when you look at a simulcast SITE, I've noticed that some sites have the individual tower locations highlighted and others just use a generic pointer in the geometric area. Why is this. I've submitted individual tower locations (coords) for a simulcast site before and it never gets added to the D.B. but others are. What gives?

D

DaveNF2G

I have been told that the RRDB convention is to use the name of the municipality in which the site is located.

Personally, I prefer to use whatever convention the actual users and operators use. In my state, that is the building or geographical feature where the site is located. A town name would only be used for a freestanding tower.

In actual practice, it appears that each DB Admin has their own "standard".

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Is there a standard to be used for naming of SITES on trunking systems?? I have seen building names, city or town names, mountain top names, tree names(not really....but close) and who knows what else?? Seems like it would be easier if there was a consistent site naming standard.
Seems like the only guidance is whatever "the clearest, most specific name that is appropriate." That appears to be left up the database administrators to decide. I believe most admins will prefer the name of the nearest community, but some communities might have multiple sites within the city which would require more specific names like some sort of landmark. Some systems have official names for sites and those can sometimes be preferred over other standardized naming schemes.

Also, a 2nd question. On the site listings (per system), when you look at a simulcast SITE, I've noticed that some sites have the individual tower locations highlighted and others just use a generic pointer in the geometric area. Why is this. I've submitted individual tower locations (coords) for a simulcast site before and it never gets added to the D.B. but others are. What gives?
The preferred way of mapping normal sites is to put it right where the site is located. If the site location is not known, then it will often be mapped to the area that the site is intended to cover.

The database does not support mapping of individual simulcast sites since they are logically a single site as far as the system is concerned. This means that simulcast sites are mapped to their intended coverage area instead of any single site location.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I try to use the name that is the name used by the system operations. If in IN, the IPSC calls a site poop top, that is it's name and what I use. Most sites are actually named for the closest geographic known location, such as a mountain, town, etc. On old Motorola Legacy systems they actually used to broadcast an alias with site ID data.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
As to mapping, there is a link on each site, including simulcasts that displays mapping of each tower per the FCC data and/or actual GPS data.

Technoguy58

OK. Maybe I'm mistaken but I sure thought I had seen a simulcast site somewhere in the D.B. and when I clicked on it the map diagram showed the individual sites of the simulcast site as a whole. Another question: I've noticed that on some systems, if you click on the "RR LOCATIONS" above the frequency lists for the system, not all sites show on the map. Example: On the SETRRS, if you click on the "RR LOCATIONS" only the HARDIN county sites are shown. Why is this?? I've seen this on a number of system maps. Look at the links below:

and

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I have been told that the RRDB convention is to use the name of the municipality in which the site is located.

Personally, I prefer to use whatever convention the actual users and operators use. In my state, that is the building or geographical feature where the site is located. A town name would only be used for a freestanding tower.

In actual practice, it appears that each DB Admin has their own "standard".

RR policy is to use the actual site name as used by the system, if it's known. If it's not known, the nearest town, municipality or significant feature is used.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
OK. Maybe I'm mistaken but I sure thought I had seen a simulcast site somewhere in the D.B. and when I clicked on it the map diagram showed the individual sites of the simulcast site as a whole. Another question: I've noticed that on some systems, if you click on the "RR LOCATIONS" above the frequency lists for the system, not all sites show on the map. Example: On the SETRRS, if you click on the "RR LOCATIONS" only the HARDIN county sites are shown. Why is this?? I've seen this on a number of system maps. Look at the links below:

and
The sites don't appear because under the site details no license is listed.. The DB is user driven.. Somebody needs to research and submit the missing data :unsure:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

What you saw depends on what you clicked. If you clicked the FCC license you'll see all towers for a given simulcast site, as that's driven by the FCC data. In the RR database, we use the center of coverage of a simulcast site as the location, so if you clicked the site name to go to the page specific to that site, you'll see the approximate area of coverage for that site.

As noted by u2brent, the RadioReference database is driven by user submissions, so some things may not appear unless they have been monitored, confirmed and submitted by a user like yourself.

D

DaveNF2G

RR policy is to use the actual site name as used by the system, if it's known. If it's not known, the nearest town, municipality or significant feature is used.

In which case, I will submit corrections for some of the sites in the OneVoice network.

Status
Not open for further replies.