StarCom21 2020 Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Let me ELI5 it for you: Why isn't it in the database under StarCom21?

Maybe because no one submitted the information? What kind of traffic have you heard, users, talkgroup information or CTCSS/DCS tones used? The Emissions for a majority of the frequencies are data/telemetry so not sure what you're missing. 855.4875 is FB2 so maybe give that a listen and submit the information.
Um....nothing?

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Because it's not StarCom. It's for IPSAN MDTs.
I second Awesomeman92's reply. If memory serves correct, these licenses are for MDT (mobile data terminal) fixed base transmitters. However, I plugged in the freq for one of these transmitters that's about 3-4 miles from my house and heard nothing on my trusty analog BC780XLT after listening to it in the background for about a half hour. I believe that much (most? nearly all?) of the MDT traffic is now on cellular data systems (I believe there's a fancy name/acronym for it but I forget what it is). If this is all correct, these freqs might be candidates for some kind of re-use?

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
I second Awesomeman92's reply. If memory serves correct, these licenses are for MDT (mobile data terminal) fixed base transmitters. However, I plugged in the freq for one of these transmitters that's about 3-4 miles from my house and heard nothing on my trusty analog BC780XLT after listening to it in the background for about a half hour. I believe that much (most? nearly all?) of the MDT traffic is now on cellular data systems (I believe there's a fancy name/acronym for it but I forget what it is). If this is all correct, these freqs might be candidates for some kind of re-use?
Are you thinking of FirstNet?

There's also IWIN which is owned by the state. That I believe is also a cellular-based system.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Are you thinking of FirstNet?

There's also IWIN which is owned by the state. That I believe is also a cellular-based system.
No, definately not FirstNet. This pre-dates FirstNet by a number of years. I don't know much about IWIN - that could be it, but it's the name of the technology I'm trying to think of. Maybe someone knows what it is, but it's not really all that important.

VASCAR2

There was a mobile/vehicle (MDT) computer system known as ALERTS which permitted LEO to conduct inquiries of SOS, LEADS, NCIC files. The ALERTS system used Agency owned 800 MGHz transmitters to communicate with the MDT. Only larger metro areas had the ALERTS system. The only smaller county I remember using ALERTS in Southern Illinois was Jefferson Co/Mt Vernon. I’ve seen in RR where there have been 800 MGHz frequencies allocated for MDT. To my knowledge most agencies transitioned to IWIN which is a significantly better system with very good state wide coverage through the vendor provided cell phone network.

If you ever watched Blues Brothers the Troopers used an MDT to run the Blues Brothers. The film used a different acronym for the MDT but it was a lot more colorful than ALERTS.

Elwood says to Jake the Troopers probably have SCMODS.

JAKE: SCMODS?

ELWOOD: State. County. Municipal. Offender. Data. System.

The acronym ALERTS stands for - Area-Wide Law Enforcement Radio Terminal. System (if I remember correctly).

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Additional "Radio school" today for District 2 & 15 troopers on DC 2-Local (TGID 9058) and D15-Central (TGID 2028) throughout the day. A variety of scenarios were used, must be a script that the dispatchers have and follow along. "Chicago, 2-108 is going to scenario 9".

Also noted since Monday, the DC-D (South-TGID 9008)/DC Tac-3 (TGID 9011) patch has been disabled. All south traffic is now on DC-D South.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
It appears that Harvey and Markham PDs might be moving from 470.8125 (114.8) to STARCOM21 in the near future. 1860xx RIDs (300 and 400-series units) have been heard testing TGs 34420 and 34421.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
It appears that Harvey and Markham PDs might be moving from 470.8125 (114.8) to STARCOM21 in the near future. 1860xx RIDs (300 and 400-series units) have been heard testing TGs 34420 and 34421.

I'm hearing Markham PD and Markham 911 Center dispatches on TGID 34420 with RID's mentioned in the clear.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I'm hearing Markham PD and Markham 911 Center dispatches on TGID 34420 with RID's mentioned in the clear.

Hearing Markham PD traffic regularly on Sites 1-001/1-002. All dispatches have been Markham addresses and using 300/400/500 series units. I don't normally listen to them on the UHF-T system, so not sure of Harvey PD's radio signatures but haven't heard any Harvey addresses yet.

I suspect we'll be seeing many UHF-T systems migrating over to Starcom this coming year, with the upcoming UHF-T FCC mandate approaching soon.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Hearing Markham PD traffic regularly on Sites 1-001/1-002. All dispatches have been Markham addresses and using 300/400/500 series units. I don't normally listen to them on the UHF-T system, so not sure of Harvey PD's radio signatures but haven't heard any Harvey addresses yet.

I suspect we'll be seeing many UHF-T systems migrating over to Starcom this coming year, with the upcoming UHF-T FCC mandate approaching soon.

I'm still hearing radio traffic on 470.8125 dispatching to Harvey addresses. I don't know if Harvey self-dispatches or that's the Markham 911 center dispatching for them.

I used to have familiarity of the area a while back when the Cook County Net's were being used. Since many of these departments are now dispatched by Consolidated dispatch centers that are on the encrypted Cook County nodes, I can't follow along.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
TG 3880 being multicasted (not patched) to ITTF 4B, Skokie units protecting Old Orchard. Secure and Phase II on 3880, open and Phase I on 4B.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine who owns the SDS100 and lives in the Evergreen/Oak Lawn area, somehow ended up in Site Hold on the Cook County site 1-02 missing alot of radio traffic on the Oak Lawn (OLREC) talkgroups yesterday. What he and I discovered, is not all traffic is carried on this site, but site 1-030 (Christ Hosp) does.

On the flip side, not all "car-to-car" traffic is carried on site 1-030, but can be heard on site 1-02 at times. So...the moral of the story is if anyone that is monitoring this system or is programming for someone, might want to program both sites to successfully monitor that system. Hold time should be set to 0 which is the default for Uniden.

Status
Not open for further replies.