State College, PA - Police Will Have New $12 Mil Radio System in Time for State Polic

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
I work at Centre Co. Coverage is amazing, quality is superb, and I have a digital trunking scanner in my vehicle, anyway. It's hard trying to operate two mics and two computers and two foot pedals but we manage!

rapidcharger

I work at Centre Co.

Oh ok. So you work at the county.
I was gonna say, for people that don't work there and just want to listen to the comms, the migration to a DTRS presents some new challenges not to mention the possibility for a complete blackout. I just thought it was weird that a scanner listener would be so enthusiastic about it since rarely does anything good come of it. But that explains it.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
The system is just digital. As long as people can buy a scanner they can listen, as encryption will be used very little. Also, I would hope whoever manages the Centre County Fire/EMS online feed will upgrade so listeners can continue listening.

rapidcharger

The system is just digital. As long as people can buy a scanner they can listen, as encryption will be used very little.

I don't think you can guarantee that encryption won't be used more than "very little".
Either way, it may be good news for you if you are a user but certainly not good news for the scannerists. Even if it just involves buying a digital scanner, well digital scanners are very expensive. That is also bad news for the scannerist.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Once you go digital encryption will soon follow. Just like my small town, they are flipping the freaking switch next year. This isn't south central LA or New York City we are a small town. Frankly I can't believe they got the money for the encryption becasue an officer told me years ago they didn't plan on going encryption. Well lookie do.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
I have my reasons for saying it but I guess we shall just wait and see. I don't have a ton of money either and I still managed to get a digital scanner. Those who want to be nosey, will find a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.