State Patrol is Encrypted?

superfreak

I'd guess the recordings are all done in the interwebs cloud -- these days...
Maybe Broadcastify for the interweb. As an agency there is no requirement to record everything. Retention policies are agency specific.

Most agency recording is done locally… maybe sometimes redundant…. But it is certainly not everything public safety.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
ALL public safety radio traffic is recorded.
It's done at the PSAP.
That is not entirely correct. Not every public safety channel is recorded. The important ones are but the low use ones are not. It varies by agency /system owner on what they want recorded. My past system I administered, we only recorded 12 channels out of 500 talk groups.

I love encryption for the important stuff. I even encrypted our tech channels. Sensitive info needs to get passed in confidence and public monitoring can jeopardize safety and security of the end users, radio system, and the citizens we all serve.

wtp

i was not going to try and fight the 'all' thing, as i have heard that one group was not recorded in my county.
and that was their Sergeant that said it due to a court case.

Last edited:

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
If I'm not mistaken, isn't encryption part of the APCO P25 II standard?
And Phase I and P25 conventional. Phase II does not equal encryption...otherwise why would scanners include it? Or maybe I completely misunderstood you comment.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
And Phase I and P25 conventional. Phase II does not equal encryption...otherwise why would scanners include it? Or maybe I completely misunderstood you comment.
You did (misunderstood) - all good.
Basically, the APCO standard already has it 'baked in' - and the radios most likely have the capability already.
It just needs to be enabled (and licensing paid for I assume).

The 'technological barrier to entry' for P25 encryption is minimal.

Akuriko

Friday Harbor,Washington , in the San Juan Islands
our fire department decided its money is best spent using the analog frequency when and if the cell towers go down, they are all using 501M and 501H icons due to a company that set up the multi-million dollar radio set up. apparently, the 501M and H have special group chats that are set up so only that group can hear each other leaving the others like common citizens not to hear anything on a scanner as it's on cellular tech only.

an easy way if they don't want to go p25 phase 2 or if the future phase 3, they can start to use cell radios and then no one can hear.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
P25 Phase 3 exists on paper, its supposed to similar to LTE broadband data applications

Last edited: