State Said to Be Close to Dropping Police Radio Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
ahh yes....finally a State that is not going to tolerate M/A Com's BS anymore. I wonder when Oakland County will wake up and tell M/A Com where to go??

brey1234

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
officials blind sided

AURORA -- Last month, city leaders selected the Virginia-based M/A-Com company to build the city's new $16 million public safety communications system, which they hope to have ready when the new police station opens in January of 2010.

But some of those same leaders now say they wish they had been better informed about M/A-Com's track record in New York before voting on the project, which would replace the current police, fire and emergency management radio system.

M/A-Com, a division of Tyco Electronics, was contracted in 2005 to build a $2 billion statewide wireless network in New York. The first phase of that network was meant to cover two western New York counties and was to be completed by December 2006.

http://tinyurl.com/8vcokh

C

comsec1

why a system at all?

why don't they just upgrade their existing infrastructure. why commit to a corporation where you will be forced to buy their brand radios that don't get supported after 5 or 10 years and then have to start all over again?

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
From reading the article, it seems apparent that the bottom has fallen out of the whole issue, and M/A Com might just go bankrupt after owing the state $2 billion and probably even more if the judge orders them to buy back all of the equipment and pay for the removal of the towers that were put up. Bye-bye OpenSky. Bye-bye ProVoice. Bye-bye ESK.

N

N_Jay

From reading the article, it seems apparent that the bottom has fallen out of the whole issue, and M/A Com might just go bankrupt after owing the state $2 billion and probably even more if the judge orders them to buy back all of the equipment and pay for the removal of the towers that were put up. Bye-bye OpenSky. Bye-bye ProVoice. Bye-bye ESK.
What article did you read?:confused:

Certainly not the NYT or AURORA article.:roll:

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
ahh yes....finally a State that is not going to tolerate M/A Com's BS anymore. I wonder when Oakland County will wake up and tell M/A Com where to go??

It ain't over until it's over. Meanwhile, a load of money was flushed down the bowl to indulge in the paranoia of the Division of State Police to make their radios unmonitorable. I guess they never heard of ENCRYPTION. If they want a system where Troop A can talk to Troop K across the state, just look to Connecticut and Massachusetts. Better yet...look in your own backyard to NYSEG. Encryot your radios and let other agencies decide for themselves whether they want to invest in encryption or not.
Thanks, OFT...I might have to give up a week's pay and my next contract raise, yet you freely throw money away. Nice way to run a state!

jim202

Not that I am trying to stir up anything, but where do you get that MA-COM will owe the state
the $2 billion your talking about. The state hasn't bought anything yet from MA-COM. You need
to go do your homework.

As for the towers, the state would be a fool to remove them. No matter what happens, they will
need towers for any radio system that they go forward with. Doesn't matter which company ends
up in the future with a state contract. I guess you haven't been in the radio engineering field much.

My earlier prediction that the state was dragging the project seems to be coming to the surface.
The issue of the state of new York being able to fund a project of this scope has been looming
for some time now. You should expect a battle in the courts if this turns out to be the case for
shutting down the contract. This should prove to be an interesting few months in front of both
parties of this project.

Jim

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
NY rewards incompetance, the more you screw up, the more you are paid. OFT+ major scew up=BONUS!
oh and there is another rumor out there the state police are exploring TETRA.

Status
Not open for further replies.