State Troopers handheld frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WPXS472

In the north east part of the state, the Troopers use a vehicular repeater and an 800 MHz handheld for those times they are out of their vehicle. I can't remember the frequency of those handhelds. I seem to remember they were on 859.4875, but I can't find any license for them. Anyone know what they are on? Or does it vary by region? While I am at it, what ever happened to the State's 800 MHz EDACS system? Did it get replaced by the AFRN? I know that in my area, they still use VHF, analog.

Julian1

800 EDACS is going away if it isn't already gone. GE / MaCom is now Harris. Harris is doing away with ProVoice so I would expect EDACS is as well.
AFRN would seem the logical replacement if the Troopers choose 700-800 TRS.

WPXS472

The EDACS trunked system was never well used anyway. At least that is what former ALEA commuications tech told me. He used to be my source within the State but alas, he retired several years ago. I ran into him one day and asked what was going on with the State's communcations. He replied:"How would I know. I retired."

WPXS472

Well, it looks like they aren't using vehicular repeaters with 800 MHz handies any more. I spent some time in the FCC data base looking at 800 public safety licenses and I did see the 859.4875 frequency, but they were all high powered with only one unit listed. I didn't see any frequencies with hundreds of units listed. 859.4875 used to be the mobile data terminal frequency, then became the mobile extender frequency, and now, I don't know what they are using when outside their vehicles. Last time I saw a Trooper in a restaurant, he was carrying a P7100 800 MHz portable. The public safety people are always whining about being underfunded, but always manage to spend huge sums on radio systems that end up being little used. That and every time a new head of the department comes in, he has a whole different mindset on how communications should be handled.

codeplug

Member, Disabled Veteran, US Army
Alabama State Trooper - Mobile Extenders

New AST Mobile Extender Frequency:
854.68750 - Output / 809.68750 - Input, DPS Mobile Extenders. (Active Status in some areas)
These were listed in Radio Reference Database at one time but was removed for some reason.

WNQC513 - MO3 - Mobile/Vehicular Repeater - Statewide: AL
ULS License - PubSafty/SpecEmer/PubSaftyNtlPlan,806-817/851-862MHz,Conv License - WNQC513 - ALABAMA, STATE OF

WPAH205: FB2T - Mobile Relay - Temporary - Statewide: AL
This may be a Mobile Repeater used on their Mobile Site-On-Wheels or their Mobile Commnad Vehilcle.
ULS License - PubSafty/SpecEmer/PubSaftyNtlPlan,806-817/851-862MHz,Conv License - WPAH205 - ALABAMA, STATE OF

859.4875 / 814.4875 Mobile Extender Frequencies were Changed a while back to the new frequencies above.

State of Alabama - EDACS Networked Standard
Site - Name - County - Location
004 (4) - Munford - Cleburne - Cheaha Mountain
Active Control Channels: 01 854.5375c 02 855.2625a
These EDACS frequencies are still Active and On-the-Air but there is No Activity other than just transmitting
a Control Channel Frequency and Site Info.
The Control Channel Frequency rotates every so often to the alternate frequency.
Most of the State's EDACS Systems have been shut down or merged into AFRN but some of the
EDAC's Sites and frequencies are still Licensed but unused.

In my area Alabama State Troopers are using VHF Repeaters and some are patched into AFRN
at certain times or in certain areas.
I have heard some activity in my area on the Mobile Extender Output frequency but it has been
a while since I have heard any traffic. So I am not certain if they are still used or not.
I hear them making traffic stops or working accident scenes a lot and talking outside the vehicle and it sounds like
they are using some type of Extender frequency but not sure if it is the one listed above or something else.

Any Questions you can PM me and I'll try to offer more info.

WPXS472

Wow! I don't know how I missed that. My FCC database skills have really slipped. I will program that frequency into a handheld and see what I hear. I would program the input side, but most handhelds won't receive that low. I seem to remember having a dual band amateur handheld with a wide coverage receiver and it might pick that up. Around here, they use VHF and the repeater on Cheaha mountain comes in very good here. Thanks much for the info.

bobvick

I am in the NW part of the State in southeastern Marion County. Does anyone know if the Troopers use anything besides 154.920 at the Hamilton Post and 154.8075 at the Sheffield Post in this area of the State?

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Wow! I don't know how I missed that. My FCC database skills have really slipped. I will program that frequency into a handheld and see what I hear. I would program the input side, but most handhelds won't receive that low. I seem to remember having a dual band amateur handheld with a wide coverage receiver and it might pick that up. Around here, they use VHF and the repeater on Cheaha mountain comes in very good here. Thanks much for the info.

I wouldn't worry about the "input" frequency. Every AST mobile extender I've heard has been simplex type, so the receive frequency for the extender should be the same as transmit.

A couple years ago, it seemed none of the new vehicles were having extenders installed, at least in Troop E. At one point there was only one Trooper out of Hamilton post that still had one. However supposedly they are installing them in all of the newer model Tahoes now. I haven't monitored the frequency with a decent antenna to confirm though. They do all seem to have a low profile 7/800 MHz antenna on them however.

I am in the NW part of the State in southeastern Marion County. Does anyone know if the Troopers use anything besides 154.920 at the Hamilton Post and 154.8075 at the Sheffield Post in this area of the State?

There is occasional traffic on the Special Detail channel as well, 159.210, 151.4 PL.

emcom

Here in the Huntsville area, VHF sometimes goes back to simplex for some odd reason. Then one day its back to repeat. Our sheriff issued out some 700 Mhz handhelds to the Madison Co. troopers to use. A few of them use them often to contact the locals. Some I don't think took him upon on the offer as I never hear them on. Lincoln Co. TN SO dispatch has a base unit to coordinate with Madison Co. if needed on the Madison Co. system (part of AFRN).

Status
Not open for further replies.