Stolen GRE PSR-500's - Be on the lookout

Status
Not open for further replies.

laguire

Did anyone else notice that the "seller" of the radio was a Money Loan outfit. If you look at the sellers page on ebay it shows a picture of his Store front.
-Ben

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Since GRE is in the SF Bay Area so I would bet that their shipments go into the Oakland Port. Oakland is a nice safe town I find it hard to belive that that would happen there. LOL
The port itself is actually pretty secure. CBP has some serious security around the place with roving patrols and video surveillance. Go a couple blocks away......lock yer doors!

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
One sold already $415 s/n 2937

http://cgi.ebay.com/GRECOM-GRE-PSR-...ryZ14956QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(or view his completed items)

by clearly showing the s/n im guessing the pawn shop was NOT aware they were stolen.
However they should have asked for the pawners ID, and made him sign a form saying "i own this property and it is not stolen etc".. least thats what legitmate pawn shops do for legal reasons.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I almost bid on the first one.. talked to the seller.. he was a nice guy answered my questions (although I didnt ask where it came from)

luckily i got tied up at work and couldnt get to a PC to bid on time before the auction ended wow

hoser147

http://cgi.ebay.com/GRECOM-GRE-PSR-...ryZ14956QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

by clearly showing the s/n im guessing the pawn shop was NOT aware they were stolen.
However they should have asked for the pawners ID, and made him sign a form saying "i own this property and it is not stolen etc".. least thats what legitmate pawn shops do for legal reasons.
It would suck to get taken like that, Wonder how long it will take them to come get his scanner....................Hoser

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
should this not also go into the GRE forum?...
i doubt someone looking to buy a PSR-500 will search the announcements for info

just a suggestion

Eng74

The port itself is actually pretty secure. CBP has some serious security around the place with roving patrols and video surveillance. Go a couple blocks away......lock yer doors!

Secure where only 5 radios got stolen. Since there have been ports there has been stuff stolen. Then again it is just a guess that it was at the port where they got stolen. It could have been right out of GRE's warehouse.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I don't think it would be a guess that they were stolen at the port. Most companies have time signatures showing when certain items (specific down to individual serial numbers), leave certain checkpoints. I'm sure that there is a log showing when these left China and when they arrived in the US.

I don't think GRE would just arbitrarily say they got stolen at our port- I'm sure there is a little bit of substantiating evidence to back the claim.

Eng74

Sorry, forgot that it did say they were stolen from the port. Still hard to belive that that would happen in Oakland, number 1 in murders for 3 years.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
We have been notified that 5 GRE PSR-500's were stolen from a shipment at the port with the following serial numbers:

S/N: 002937

GRE warns that these PSR-500's are not covered under warranty. In addition, one of these PSR-500's has shown up on ebay already, so buyer beware and be on further lookout. Here is the link to the ebay auction for one of the stolen radios.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280250043918

Thank you for showing us the s/n and posting info on here I'm glad someone is doing the right thing!

jack009

Can we track them

If we know the stolen goods serial number why cant we track them if they go air. Any way thanks for publishing this news, at least some one like me will surely check serial number before buying the product.

====================
Jack
Maryland Treatment Centers

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Ive contacted the seller, and hes nice enough. He said GRE hasnt claimed them as stolen yet at the local PD.

I contacted GRE as well and let them know... GRE has good customer service.

donc13

Premium Subscriber

You're kidding...right? "Honest Pawnshop" is an oxymoron. There is no such thing.

Oh sure, there are pawn shops that follow the laws exactly. But that doesn't make them honest, that makes them smart so they can't be charged with being fences or possession of stolen property.

Pawn shop owners KNOW that some of the property they are getting is stolen, they're willing to take the small loss that occurs when the cops actually check the pawn slips and clear serial numbers and they get a pop on an item.

I was a cop for 26 years in Denver, CO. I guarantee you NO pawn shop does any kind of checking to see if you are the legitimate owner of something you bring in for pawn. Also, every pawn shop maximizes their profits by preying on those who are short of cash. They pay the minimum they can for a "loan" and then charge teh maximum fees they can get away with and, sell the property for as high a $$ as they can.

I've yet to meet a pawn shop owner who had money problems....they were all quite well off.

They are a business like every other business..out to make a dollar, and they make very good dollars! Nothing wrong with that....just don't ever get the idea in your head they're trying to "help" you.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
If we know the stolen goods serial number why cant we track them if they go air. Any way thanks for publishing this news, at least some one like me will surely check serial number before buying the product.

====================
Jack
Maryland Treatment Centers

"Go on the air" ?????

these are receivers...they don't broadcast their serial number. They don't "go on the air"

There is nothing to "track"

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
"Go on the air" ?????

these are receivers...they don't broadcast their serial number. They don't "go on the air"

There is nothing to "track"

Maybe they have that NEW RFID technology, But Jumping on someone because they are Grammatically challenged doesn't help

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Maybe they have that NEW RFID technology, But Jumping on someone because they are Grammatically challenged doesn't help

And maybe the cops have nothing better to do than go driving around with RFID detectors looking for stolen RFID tags.

Actually...I didn't notice his gramatical error until you pointed it out. :)

Seriously...there's lots of people out there who think technology is teh answer to everything. It's not.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
True, I would not want too much technology, I am not a Big Brother conspiracy theorist, but it does get scary

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
there is nothing to track.
We know where the stolen gre's are.
I let GRE know as well. All they need to do is call the local police and get them back

SCPD

QRT
there is nothing to track.
We know where the stolen gre's are.
I let GRE know as well. All they need to do is call the local police and get them back
Enough already, GRE had some radio stolen. Big Deal, Every day scanners are stolen I don't see a thread for those, thank God!

Status
Not open for further replies.