Strange sightings in Guadalupe County

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_webb59

I am driving back and forth from San Antonio to Houston for work (out on Monday, back on Friday).

Last Friday around 4:00PM I saw some different vehicle and antenna combinations on IH-10 between SATX and Seguin

One was a PD-style car, either a Dodge or the Crown Vic, but totally wrapped with Motorola Logos. Had a lightbar or something on the roof and tinted windows. The other was a marked TX DPS Unit, but with a 4-foot PVC-style pipe (sitting lengthwise on the roof) with an extra antenna on the top.

I saw both cars in the span of a few minutes traveling west to east; the Motorola Car followed by the DPS unit. Would this have been a mobile test in progress, and of what? the DPS APCO-25, or the LCRA EDACS? GPS? Thoughts, anyone?

Mike

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Interesting...

You say the pipe was laying flat on the roof, lengthwise? No wires protruding from it? Was a DPS officer driving it or a civvie?

The Moto car- did it have antennae also? Did it have a blue/red light bar or orange?

mike_webb59

The `Motorola` car looked like one of those promo vehicles with a paint job covering the car; and it had the Motorola logo where one would normally see the shield of the agency. It had a light bar, but it wasn't orange and I am pretty sure it wasn't red/blue -- I thought it was just white lights and what came to my mind was that the purpose of the light bar (on a no-emergency vehicle) was to test antenna mounts.

The DPS unit was driven by a DPS officer. Normal black & white, 2-4"-diameter white pvc pipe that looked like a temporary mount parallel to the road surface, and oriented lengthwise like it was a radar gun. I also thought I saw a mast. The PVC pipe reminded me of one of those enclosures some people put together for a J-Pole to make it all-weather.

At this time I was monitoring DPS with APCO but no LCRA systems and no Close Call. I didn;t hear any traffic between the two.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Come to think of it... on the way to Galveston 2 weeks ago I saw that same Motorola car @ 1604 and 1H10 just outside of San Antonio. I didn't get a real good look other than to say "WTF?" is up with that Motorola car?

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
I have seen a Kellogg's car up here. I asked the driver and he is getting paid for the advertisment plus gas.I assume that the Motorola car is the same deal. I had read on CNN where companies will pay their employee's to drive cars with the company's advertisment on the vehicle.
Could you imagine....a ENRON car? It would have to be a tank!

SCPD

QRT
an Exxon car might become a moving target

I wonder if this is a Motorola RF Survey crew working on a new system project?

precoislen

I saw this same car a few weeks on IH10 between SATX and Houston. Don't remember the county I was in though but it was on the SA side of Flatonia. It was remiss of the DPS car and I only caught a quick glimpse of it as it was heading Eastbound and I was Westbound.

Status
Not open for further replies.