Stridsberg MCA208M

tip

Premium Subscriber
Back in December I purchased a Stridsberg MCA208M multicoupler from this sites classifieds, to use on a setup I was putting together. Well that got delayed, and just this week I unpacked and tried to put the MCA208M into play. Dead as a doornail. The RED LED comes on, but not picking anything up. I reconnected my 4 port version, to rule out a feedline/antenna issue, and all is well with the 4 port (GREEN LED).

Anyway, my bad for not checking it out on arrival. Given the dollar value, I think its worth having it looked at.

Question is what are typical service costs for these devices?

Thanks

Ubbe

When I blew my amp I asked Stridsberg what a new amp IC would cost but they sent me one free of charge, overseas. Great support in their older days. It's easy to replace if you have a soldering pen.

/Ubbe

tip

Premium Subscriber
Opened it up here is what I found. S1 a little wonky, yeah?
1715437301217.jpeg

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
I think A1 is likely the problem. Is it marked with a number 4?

prcguy

Premium Subscriber

Ubbe

Those white S devices are impedance transformers and it doesn't matter if the plastic have been touched by mistake from a soldering pen. It looks as if the A1 amplifier has been replaced but Stridsberg have never used those wonky ERA amplifiers in their multicouplers. The soldering show that someone has done a manual resolder job and replaced a blown A1 amplifier but instead used a much worse one.

/Ubbe

tip

Premium Subscriber
Those white S devices are impedance transformers and it doesn't matter if the plastic have been touched by mistake from a soldering pen. It looks as if the A1 amplifier has been replaced but Stridsberg have never used those wonky ERA amplifiers in their multicouplers. The soldering show that someone has done a manual resolder job and replaced a blown A1 amplifier but instead used a much worse one.

/Ubbe
Thanks. Looks I will turn to Stridsberg for possible repair then.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Did you buy the unit new from Stridsberg?

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Call Stridsberg and they’ll them your unit is broken and ask for the part. They would rather spend a few $$ in shipping than take in a broken unit and repair it plus all the paperwork. If you get the part make sure you are familiar with anti static procedures soldering it in.

tip

Premium Subscriber
Did you buy the unit new from Stridsberg?
No, I purchased from this sites classifieds back in December, put it on the shelf. My project got delayed, and just this week I unpacked and tried to put into play. It was not working. My bad for not testing on arrival.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
We have one of those and it has the same amp chip. It came back repaired from Stridsberg twice now, both times the amp chip. No one has ever touched the insides but them.

Marden02

I would like to have the same opinion on the after-sales service of Stridsberg: after 3 messages (over a month) no response for a device still under warranty!
As for the French reseller who displays on the site 3-year warranty: he tells me that he applies the legal warranty of 2 years in France and for the 3rd year, you have to contact the manufacturer directly ...
I have to buy an additional splitter, I think I will take a Cross Country Wireless ...