Suggested DMR talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoiseLimited

I'll probably set up a DMR hotspot in the house in the next couple of weeks. I've started a list of talkgroups I plan to put in the radio. I'm sure I'm missing some "good" ones, so I would appreciate any suggestions based on your experience. I'll be using one of the Alinco DJ-MD5 radios just for the hotspot. The 200mW power setting was the reason I opted for the Alinco. Any of you Alinco owners have any "gotchas" I should look out for?

Thanks

w2xq

Mentor
Assuming you are asking about https://Brandmeister.network talkgroups and want to chat anytime: 91, 310-319, 3100, 98003 (the Reddit TG), your state's statewide and (if one exists) a regional (covering perhaps a section of a state or surrounding states) TG. You can get a full list of BM talkgroups from Talkgroups | BrandMeister using the CSV button (or buttons for other formats) atop the page.

I strongly recommend you read (and bookmark) Amateur radio notes by KE0FHS as it is by far and away the best DMR resource on the web. KE0FHS has done a magnificent job on this document.

The Colorado HD net on TG 31088 Friday evenings at 7:30 Mountain time is probably the best net to discuss all things digital. In part 2 of the net you can ask questions. Net procedure to be recognized is different than most, using a keypress rather than voice; listen to the preamble for instructions. More on Colorado HD and the net: Colorado Digital Multiprotocol System

And you'll need 4000 to Unlink.

HTH.

NoiseLimited

Thanks for the response - I guess there aren't as many "interesting" talkgroups as I thought. I'm not "brand new" to dmr but I am relatively new. I got a couple of radios in March and created a code plug for the local dmr repeaters, simplex channels and several of our local analog repeaters. My wife and I have been using them 4 or 5 times a week. I thought it would be fun to check out the various wide coverage groups using a hotspot vs tying up a local repeater.
A few years ago when we got into D-Star, the same situation occurred - numerous reflectors to check and tying up a local repeater for that didn't seem plausible. Thus, the DV dongle. While it worked well, aimlessly bouncing from reflector to reflector to check for activity was tedious and time consuming. Apart from 2 or 3 "known" active reflectors, there wasn't much to go on then. I was hoping to avoid that scenario.

Thanks for the KE0FHS link. Been there and read that. I researched dmr for 2 months before I considered getting a radio. I think I've read every bad article, pdf and ppt document out there along with all the excellent ones. Hams make some of the best and some of the worst YouTube videos. Those 40 minute ones where there is 10 minutes of very good info interspersed with 30 minutes of rambling tax your attention span. But one must applaud the effort though because without them, the new folks would be lost.

Cheers

SlyFerret

Assuming you are asking about https://Brandmeister.network talkgroups and want to chat anytime: 91, 310-319, 3100, 98003 (the Reddit TG), your state's statewide and (if one exists) a regional (covering perhaps a section of a state or surrounding states) TG.

What is the reddit talkgroup? Is that where everyone just hangs around and trolls each other?

-SF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

w2xq

Mentor
What is the reddit talkgroup? Is that where everyone just hangs around and trolls each?
Pays your money and takes your choice. I've had some interestjng conversations... better than on 310 and 91. That included the research on the history of my call that helped W2XG find much on his, c.f. http://w2xg.com. Sure, stupidity can be found everywhere here and on the radio, but that's nothing new. By the way, there is a an IRC #redditnet channel on irc.geekshed.net. Giddyup.

Last edited:

NoiseLimited

Assuming you are asking about https://Brandmeister.network talkgroups and want to chat anytime: 91, 310-319, 3100, 98003 (the Reddit TG), your state's statewide and (if one exists) a regional (covering perhaps a section of a state or surrounding states) TG. You can get a full list of BM talkgroups from Talkgroups | BrandMeister using the CSV button (or buttons for other formats) atop the page.

I strongly recommend you read (and bookmark) Amateur radio notes by KE0FHS as it is by far and away the best DMR resource on the web. KE0FHS has done a magnificent job on this document.

The Colorado HD net on TG 31088 Friday evenings at 7:30 Mountain time is probably the best net to discuss all things digital. In part 2 of the net you can ask questions. Net procedure to be recognized is different than most, using a keypress rather than voice; listen to the preamble for instructions. More on Colorado HD and the net: Colorado Digital Multiprotocol System

And you'll need 4000 to Unlink.

HTH.

Hey, why didn't you reference your own site? I did a little more searching on your call and found your excellent page. In all my searches over several weeks, your page did not pop up. It's a great resource.
And my bad, I dug into KE0FHS's site some more and found some really good Brandmeister info I did not know. So much for me thinking I've been through all the relevant stuff. At some point, I guess I started to glaze over and have clearly missed some very good points of interest.

Again, you really have put together a great reference - you should push us slow-witted novices in that direction.

Cheers

w2xq

Mentor
Hey, why didn't you reference your own site? I did a little more searching on your call and found your excellent page. In all my searches over several weeks, your page did not pop up. It's a great resource.
And my bad, I dug into KE0FHS's site some more and found some really good Brandmeister info I did not know. So much for me thinking I've been through all the relevant stuff. At some point, I guess I started to glaze over and have clearly missed some very good points of interest.

Again, you really have put together a great reference - you should push us slow-witted novices in that direction.

Cheers
Glad you found my DMR page useful. I try not to tout my own stuff, taking away from this website, and leave it to the link below. Feel free to use the links and pass the source along as you see fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.