SWL monitoring from Saskatchewan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
Is there anyone in Saskatchewan that is into HF aviation monitoring? I'm asking because I used to listen to Gander years back and I was wondering if anyone still does that here?

Are there any other HF frequencies worth listening to?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Aero is but one topic. Specifically what are you interested in hearing? What are you using for a radio and antenna? Generally speaking the better the system (radio plus antenna) the better your potential results

Mike

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
Aero is but one topic. Specifically what are you interested in hearing? What are you using for a radio and antenna? Generally speaking the better the system (radio plus antenna) the better your potential results

Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm using an Icom R71A with a G5RV as an antenna.

R71A.jpg

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A nice simple setup. Apart from Aero, do you have any other things you want to hear on HF? Mike

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
A nice simple setup. Apart from Aero, do you have any other things you want to hear on HF? Mike

I do like the broadcast band and I'd like to get into more utilities but for now, I'd just like to listen to HF aircraft. Used to be able to but the frequencies I'm listening to have nothing that I can hear.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Well let's keep to your interests for a moment - while this list is somewhat dated, it does give you a nice layout of some of the other things you can hear on Aero HF. The HFDL freqs have changed somewhat though....

Another side to the Aero HF component is HFDL.

How about VOLMETs? It's about 6 months old but much of this should still be good. Probably a bit better than Larry's list above...

Now to wander just a bit... for strictly utility stuff, you want to belong here....

and trust me, this is a page you want to bookmark...

Enjoy...Mike

schlever

Thanks guys, this information is excellent for someone just entering the hobby. Right now I only have a SDR setup with an external active loop antenna in Regina city itself, but want to see if I can monitor some of the air/utility frequencies. What is the best time of day to listen?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Your setup is fine - you just need a bit more understanding of how propagation works

HF propagation determines when to listen - this is due to the sun's ionizing the upper layers of the ionosphere. The basic rule: above 10 Mhz during the day, below that at night. During the summer, the upper bands (above 10 Mhz) tend to stay open longer because of the longer daylight, but the general rule still holds true.

Mike

misterdogg

Premium Subscriber
Anyone ever give WebSDR a try? I have used it in the past ...and it seems to satisfy my SWL fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.