Tac 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentuckycp77

I am very new to all of this, but could someone tell me what TAC 4 means exactly? I live in Calloway County. Thanks for the help.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Generally "Tac" channels are mostly used for unit to unit communication. They may or may not always be monitored by a dispatcher. They also may or may not be "repeater-ized". I can't say that is the use in Calloway county, but is pretty much the norm.

Having said that, I grew up in Minnesota. My first winter here was kind of cold. As people were gathering up their hats, coats and gloves, I heard someone say "Please hand me that 'tobbogan' over there". I was looking around for something made of wood, having a curved front end and used for sliding down a snow covered hill. Little did I know then that around these parts, a tobbogan is something that keeps your head warm.

So I wouldn't take what I think Tac means as gospel. I'm sure if you asked a local emergency responder, they'd be happy to explain what it is, and how its used.

Also, though I doubt this was the usage, but on Pierce fire apparatus TAK IV is their brand name for a front suspension on a fire truck.

Last edited:

DickH

kentuckycp77 said:
I am very new to all of this, but could someone tell me what TAC 4 means exactly? I live in Calloway County. Thanks for the help.

Since you are new to this, TAC stands for Tactical.

kentuckycp77

Thanks for all the replies. The Calloway County sheriff's department uses TAC 4 once in a while. You will here them say, " Go to TAC 4". The Murray city police and the Murray State police, however, do not use this.

firemedic2150

Database Admin
Tac-4

If you will go to the database and look at Calloway County and Law Enforcement you will find your answer.

Mark Mc.

CCEMS703

Our tac Four Freq is 460.2250. It is Used Mostly as a Non Scrambled Repeater (witch means you can hear them and understand what’s being said) by the Court security to communicate so they do not tie up the Main repeater 460.3250.They can also Switch while on that channel and any channel on that radio to a scramble Mode witch is referred to as tac where you can not understand with out the chip in your radio. They say tac 4 so they know to switch over in scramble mode if they want to just go to channel 4 (460.2250) with no scramble then they say go to channel 4. Murray Police have a Channel 8 that has not type of Tac mode on it. and MSU has Channel 2 and they do have tac mode if they want to use while talking Hope this helps

-Brandon

Last edited:

kentuckycp77

Thanks CCEMS!!! I did not know about MSU having that. Are there any frequencies for Calloway County that are not internet/public knowledge? Thanks.

CCEMS703

Umm i belive everything is up to date on the Internet as it is in my "book" of Calloway codes and freqs, but i will when i have more time to go over it and look ill check to see if there isnt anything that i have missed to add to the datebase...

Status
Not open for further replies.