BCD436HP/BCD536HP: TAC and THP Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

monus

Good morning everyone!

I have to admit I have drooled over this scanner for a long time and my wife surprised me with wedding anniversary present.

I have for the most part figured out how to program the scanner for some areas. I live in Loudon County (Lenoir City). The have a a mixed mode conventional the new Phase II. I have figured out howto just select the area I want listen too.

I also have Knoxville and Knox County working great, we travel to Knoxville on a regular basis so have everything work great now.

I have a bit of a issue with THP. They are divided into districts and have 20 to 30 sites in each district. How do I determine which sites to keep or remove from the scanning list?

Also seems to be slow scanning is that normal or do I need to change a setting to speed it up?

HAve a great day and I look forward to using it.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The number of sites you need to enter depends on are you going to travel in that area. I have several scanlist playlist set up so I can turn on and off areas that I will be traveling in day in day out. I have 5 sites set up for when I am home I have a roam list built when I travel the West Tn district I have a scanlist built from home to Nashville running down I-40. Just remember the more the scanner has to scan the more you may not here all of the transmission. Also there is no reason to look for D1 Talk Groups or sites unless you are in range of that district.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
I'll assume you're using one of the HP series of scanners. If that's the case, it will be slow scanning THP because, unless you're using some type of location control or locking out sites, it will scan every site until it hits a control channel.
For my Hp 1 and 436hp, I've created favorites lists for the areas I frequent and manually entered location coordinates for those areas. I then choose "location control" for the lists. By setting it up this way, I can change my preprogrammed locations and let the scanner select the systems I've loaded. You could also do the same thing without creating favorites lists, the scanner will just work off the master database. I set the range to 1-5 miles when using this setup.
On my 536hp (mounted in my truck), I use a GPS receiver to select systems. Very hard to beat this setup, especially if you travel a lot. The GPS setup can be a little cumbersome with the GPS connection.

I'm sure others can chime in with other suggestions, but this is what works for me, right now, anyway.

Jeff.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You need to get the Uniden GPS puck and connect it to your scanner when on the go. Make sure Location Control is enabled in your favorites list, and while connected to the GPS, the scanner will automatically switch sites and channels on and off so you're only monitoring things in range.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P99KRU/

Status
Not open for further replies.