• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tait TP9800 Scanning

aglowgibbon

I was interested in purchasing a Tait TP9800, but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience using it as a scanner only. I want to listen to a P25 Phase II system that is not encrypted. I have the control frequencies, talk groups, hex codes, etc., but I don't have the system keys. Is this radio capable of scanning that system as a receive only? I had heard that in order to use a Tait radio on a P25 system, you have to have the system keys and the radio must be registered on the network.

I will also use this radio with my local P25 towers, so I want something that is transmit capable on P25 phase II. Thus, a scanning only device is out for me.

Thanks for the help!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have not heard of anyone getting their hands on one of these yet outside of trade shows.

Usually the professional radios are not designed to scan the way a hobbyist wants them to. Scanning tends to work against the primary use of the radio, so the scan features that most hobbyists want are not there.

Wether or not it will do a non-affiliate type scan remains to be seen. Since it's based off the other TP-9K radios, I suspect its going to be the same.

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
I have not heard of anyone getting their hands on one of these yet outside of trade shows.

Usually the professional radios are not designed to scan the way a hobbyist wants them to. Scanning tends to work against the primary use of the radio, so the scan features that most hobbyists want are not there.

Wether or not it will do a non-affiliate type scan remains to be seen. Since it's based off the other TP-9K radios, I suspect its going to be the same.
Does this mean that it will or will not do NAS?

lbd1123

Premium Subscriber
I am considering purchasing the TP9800 and the dealer is telling me it is possible to do NAS, the TP9800 is an all-band radio.

Still doing my homework to see if it is really capable of NAS

M17xR3

Recently taken delivery of TP9800s and have one of them scanning a local P2 trunked system using NAS.

It's slightly different to program compared to Motorola APX's, but works just the same.

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
Recently taken delivery of TP9800s and have one of them scanning a local P2 trunked system using NAS.

It's slightly different to program compared to Motorola APX's, but works just the same.
Do you need a system key to program them?

aglowgibbon

How were you able to do NAS on a 9800? I was looking at purchasing one to do this.

hrh17

Yes please explain how. So far my attempts have been unsuccessful

motorcoachdoug

Premium Subscriber
The last I remember over on AUS*** site a couple of years ago someone had left instructions on how to get a TP9400 to do NAS. Yes you did need the system key in order to do so. I do not know If I still have the instructions or not on how to NAS but I do remember using it for that until I traded it for a moto apx6000. Also I had to order the programming cable from down under but now I think dealers here in the USA can get them but it might take a few weeks to do so. When I ordered mine from down under it took 2 weeks to get it as all Tait Radios and cables are made in New Zealand in house

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
It's been almost a year and these things are finally shipping! Can the radio do this?