Tanker truck crash/fuel spill, Spartanburg County

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
There has been a tanker truck crash and significant fuel spill in Spartanburg County this morning. The accident happened just before 7:30am this date on Southport Road/Hwy 295 near Arkwright Fire Department just south of the Spartanburg city limits. 2 individuals were transported to Spartanburg Regional Medical Center with unknown injuries. The talks, with both gasoline and diesel fuel, have spilled from the truck and into Beaver Dam creek, a tributary that feeds into Fairforest Creek. A very large waste-water treatment plant is just down the road less than 1/2-mile. Traffic on Hwy 295 is closed at Hwy 221 to the west and Hwy 56 to the east.

Multiple fire departments have crews on the scene, including Arkwright, Croft, City of Spartanburg, Roebuck and possibly Westview-Fairforest. Additionally, the county's Emergency Preparedness and Hazmat teams are operating at the scene. I just heard a DHEC Emergency team report they are also en route from Columbia.

County Fire operations are on 154.310/85.4 PL Dispatch and 154.415/85.4 PL TAC 2.
Hazmat operations are on Palmetto 800 talkgroup 47952.
EMS operations are on Palmetto 800 talkgroup 48432.
SCHP operations (traffic control) are on Palmetto 800 talkgroup 21008 and 51304.
DHEC emergency team was heard on the DHEC ERT talkgroup 20976.

A Hazmat clean-up contract crew is on the scene assisting. Several of their works have been overcome by fumes from the spill. No evacuations have been ordered at this time.

The Spartanburg County Fire live feed probably has some of the County Fire radio traffic, which has deminished greatly in the last hour.

LarrySC

Great Report. Wish the media could do that good. FOX reported the wreck at HWY 25 and 221. They have maps and GPS but cant figure them out. Just another day in the b1g city.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Even worse, WSPA's story listed that Hwy 221 was closed from Southport to Hwy 56, which is completely wrong.

As an update, apparently a pick-up truck trying to turn off of Southport onto a side-street stalled during the turn in the path of the tanker. The tanker struck the pick-up and overturned. Many thousands of gallons of fuel has spilled on the side of the road. JBR clean-up contractors are working to clean up the spill.

The driver of the tanker was still in a trauma bay a short time ago with significant blood loss due to a head laceration. The driver of the pick-up was still in the ER with a damaged knee. All this, and the name of the driver of the pick-up courtesy the SCHP over the radio.

I believe the County has their Mobile command post with a dispatcher at the accident scene.

LarrySC

I'm in and out of the media news rooms in GVL, AND, & SPBG on a regular basis. Beats me how they dont know the name of roads and simple details. My wife gets on me for talking to the TV when the news is on. Caught her doing it the other day. Some the the control room people come stright from elementary school. BTW on another subject----I've seen more frequency changes in the past year than any three years put together. Moto is really pushing this NFM split channel market. Best Regards, Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.