Tavern Changes Today 7/26/2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I agree on the user "rating system" - as you guys can see, it's something that concerns me and I obviously didn't want to go down that path.

I think many of your responses affirm that decision.

David, I see a nice premium subscriber icon in your profile and postbits - are you not seeing it?

D

DaveNF2G

Yep. Sometimes it's there, sometimes not. No biggie, except in the context of this discussion.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
If you make a post using the quick reply, then you won't see it (*you* won't see it) after posting... that's because the ajax functions are a little different from the main code.

Now, don't worry Dave, you are the *premo* of premium subscribers. :D

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
Grog said:
I have no opionion on the post count counting from the tavern, but if anyone questions the choice, look at the "OAF" section on Glocktalk. There are people who have 20-30 posts a day to do nothing but "fluff"

While some might like or care about ranking by number of posts. I quite frankly don't care how I'm rated as long as people know i've been around for awhile.

Joe

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
eorange said:
Good ideas, esp. eliminating the Tavern post counts.
I think the "Senior Member" threshold of 100 posts is too low. When everyone is a senior member, then no one is.

On broadbandreports.com, they have a MVM (most valuable member) status. I think the post threshold needs to be in the 1000's, and the mods agree as to whom is a candidate for MVM based on their useful knowledge.

The good news is that when you see a MVM, you know they know their stuff, and they are respected.

I agree... I can remember back to Christmas 2002 when my wife handed me a small box containing my first trunking scanner and I was elated AND lost. My first "scanner" was a four channel Motorola HT (receive only) that stayed on the local police freqs unless the fire siren sounded--then to fire for the dispatch... channels three and four were city utilities and the sanitation folks (just in case). Then on to a "real" scanner-- a four cyrstal Patrolman and the rest has been four decades of listening to scanners and three decades of using that info to gather news. I was completely lost when the PRO 95 came my way and I searched the web. The answer came in trunkedradio.net and within a few months I was operating like a Trunking Master thanx to the help of some of the "Most Valuable Members" here who turned me into a trunking master in record time....

I don't mean to bore you with these details, except to use them to urge some kind of rating system that will offer the same quick help to other members coming here to learn how to scan.... I don't really have any fully thought-out solutions, but would lean toward nominations from the general population of the forum. Then Lindsay would pick a panel of Charter Most Valuable Members who will then be charged with selecting additional MVM’s and maintaining the quality of MVM's on rr.com so others may learn as I have...

D

DaveNF2G

blantonl said:
Now, don't worry Dave, you are the *premo* of premium subscribers. :D

Gee, is there a special icon or avatar for that?

:lol:

Premium Subscriber
I have been giving this topic some thought, To me I could care less if you have 2 posts or 2,000, A lot of people who register come on the site to get a answer to a specific question , I for one have tried to help them anyway I can( and have received some very nice thank you PM's and e-mails) so what I am saying is rating or post numbers are NOT what counts trying to be a great member of this site should ! After all this IS the complete radio referance source( best radio/ scanner site on the web IMO) . As for the Tavern and posts , not a big problem but I would say your being hasty Blantonl, there are times when the site is well kind of redundent or slow and the tavern makes it shall we say fun, my suggestion is to maybe open some new forums, say public safety, lots of firefighters , medics and law enforcment topics come up for discussion, and thats just a example, that's my two cents worth, please keep up the great site.:p

Last edited:

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
<sarcasem> If I had thought of it, i could have upped my post count by repling to three different posts instead of combining them in one post. <sarcasem>

If only everyone would do their part to conserve bandwidth.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showpost.php?p=329856&postcount=7

1268 said:
I have been giving this topic some thought, To me I could care less if you have 2 posts or 2,000, A lot of people who register come on the site to get a answer to a specific question ,

I can think of a few just in the NC forum who post very little, but the post very vaulable info.

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
All this talk about Senior, Junior, post count, etc. got me to thinking. I think I will just change my status.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
loumaag said:
All this talk about Senior, Junior, post count, etc. got me to thinking. I think I will just change my status.

I didn't know that the software allowed that :D

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
antfreq said:
He's not literal about the "background" check. Simply means, a reader can search the forums and see what a particular person posts. ( IE Flames, ridiculous comments, uninformed comments or well informed comments )

Exactly. IMHO, hiding the Tavern from review means that folks can hide thier personalities on the site. I would like to see all the posts from someone...

D

DaveNF2G

loumaag said:

Hmm. Can you do mine, too? I think a little leveling of the playing field might be in order, and the way to give it legitimacy is for us "higher" status members to move downward a bit.

EDIT to save bandwidth (rather than post another response):

I think the join date should be sufficient indication of "seniority" in the forums.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Tools

Just to note, a post count should be just that: a post count; not a post count minus this one particular forum. Maybe have two post counts: one post count with all RR Forum posts (total) and one with all posts minus the RR Tavern Forum. Possibly in the format with the total count as it currently is displayed and the one without the RR Tavern in parenthesis (e.g. "Posts: 877 (777)"). This way, all can see the comparison. In the example, you can see that 100 posts were in the RR Tavern.

As to the inability to search for words/phrases in the RR Tavern Forum, I would prefer to be able to search for all items on RR. I was just searching for something I read in the RR Tavern the other day to help me out with something I was working on. Without this tool (search entire RR site), I would not have been able to do this.

However, if there is some particular substantial reason for eliminating the global search (to include the RR Tavern Forum) and it is of benefit to all the members, then I suppose we could do without this tool. Note that I see it as a "tool" and not a feature.

STiMULi

What difference does post count make?

There are bunches of people here that rarely post but when they do it is full of tons of valid and informative posts. Then again you see the people that happen to be like me (Poltergiesty and WILF :)) who are opinionated and will blabber all the time and every once in a while have a meaningful response or topic.

I review my own posts and those of others to see what they offer to RR at large. That should be enough. I don't understand why it is so important to have a post count that is higher than someone else's.

I have ran a couple of forum sites before and as soon as we removed the post counts from the threads (you could still see it in someones post count in their profile) people were nicer to one another and you stopped seeing a bunch of nonsensical posts that some would do just to run up their post count. Some people even left the site because their post counts were no longer public. Oh well...

LarryN

South Texas DB Admin
Premium Subscriber
IMHO all but “Moderator” and “Admin” identifiers need to be eliminated. This would cut down on the mine is bigger than yours syndrome but still identify who the members can go to for help. Lindsay won’t just make anyone a moderator/admin. I think that the Tavern is getting a little out of hand. The poll on Armageddon is getting ugly. It is one thing to post a picture the latest drug seizure, but to be down right nasty because you can’t agree with someone’s religious views. What if someone in the media tried to use the posts in the Tavern to make all scanner users out to be nuts? Looking at some of the BS in there it would not be difficult. I will also follow LouMag’s example and just be a “member” as well.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
LarryN said:
IMHO all but “Moderator” and “Admin” identifiers need to be eliminated. This would cut down on the mine is bigger than yours syndrome but still identify who the members can go to for help. ...
Larry,
I am a little confused, I don't understand your reasoning. If the Admin icon is removed there will really be no impact as I can see it, if the Mod identification (only on the index pages of forums) is removed how will people know who to contact directly? I don't disagree with you, just questioning the logic here. :confused:

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
loumaag said:
Larry,
I am a little confused, I don't understand your reasoning. If the Admin icon is removed there will really be no impact as I can see it, if the Mod identification (only on the index pages of forums) is removed how will people know who to contact directly? I don't disagree with you, just questioning the logic here. :confused:
Lou, he wrote "...all but the 'Moderator' and 'Admin' identifiers need to be eliminated." I think he is imlying that the Moderator and Admin icons should be the only icons we see. Yes, it can be confusing unless you read it properly. :wink:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.