Testing reveals why my 536 so often stops with no audio and then resumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashSWT

Straight out of the box (no recordings) I'm seeing the same issue with my 536. TXWARN Analog, League City site, department hold on Kemah. I'm missing entire conversations that my BCT15 (same site with only my Kemah group enabled) is hearing just fine.

I haven't had a chance to dive into the setting yet but like the original poster, it is frustrating.

SCPD

QRT
Hey folks

Seen this problem also and while its not gone it happens less frequent after turning the system hold time to Zero and splitting up departments into smaller sub-departments. What I mean is rather than putting all Plano PS group ID's in a department labeled "Plano" I put all Dispatch channels into a department called "System Dispatch" "System Tactical" and "System Events" making the department list smaller and avoiding some TGID's speeds up the scanner.

The next thing was to set the step size which most of us leave set to default. This helped on trunking and conventional P25.

Lastly in the frequencies tab locate the options and fill out the "Band Plan" area.

My 536 isn't 100% on P25 systems yet but its better than what it was after filling out and changing most of that stuff.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The number of TGIDs programmed for a trunked system does not affect in any way how long it takes to scan the system.

steve1202

Premium Subscriber
I can say that I am missing a lot of the conversations also. I have set up 3 systems in 1 fav list for testing. These are all for starcom21 P25 system. 1 is set up conventional and using the site freq. Great results but cannot tell what talkgroup is being used. Some beginnings are still missing. 2 is setup using P25 one site frequency. Does hit occasionally, but conventional hits 90% of time. P25 standard with all site frequencies is probably the worst. The stock antenna is pointed at 2-3 o'clock for best digital reception. Have not been able to get the analog reception that the 996xt had. Love the 536 but really believe there is some kinks that need to be worked out. The oddest part of all is that the signal strength on conventional channel is full bars. The same site frequency on P25 is 3 bars at best.

troymail

Silent Key
I can say that I am missing a lot of the conversations also. I have set up 3 systems in 1 fav list for testing. These are all for starcom21 P25 system. 1 is set up conventional and using the site freq. Great results but cannot tell what talkgroup is being used. Some beginnings are still missing. 2 is setup using P25 one site frequency. Does hit occasionally, but conventional hits 90% of time. P25 standard with all site frequencies is probably the worst. The stock antenna is pointed at 2-3 o'clock for best digital reception. Have not been able to get the analog reception that the 996xt had. Love the 536 but really believe there is some kinks that need to be worked out. The oddest part of all is that the signal strength on conventional channel is full bars. The same site frequency on P25 is 3 bars at best.

Many have reported similar findings/issues while others tell us we're just doing something wrong.

I will say that it isn't a good idea to have ALL sites for a given system enabled. That will certainly kill performance wasting time looking for sites/frequencies that are way out of range (possibly even worse - those which are marginally detectable/decodable). I myself have added site QKs to all sites to only enable the ones I can really receive depending upon where I am. And also reduced the list of freqs in each site to only those which are really CC frequencies.

Emoney250

Wow...the "audio type" DOES disappear when goin ginto FL edit mode. I tried clicking on that column in FL review, but to no avail. HELP!!

Voyager

What system are you trying to edit it on.

Also, I know this is an ancient thread, but something nobody mentioned is how many frequencies are in the System in question. Are only the control channels programmed or are the control channels and voice-only channels programmed? Maybe the scanner is looking at an active voice channel and trying to decode it, then realizing that it's not a control channel, so it tries the next frequency. Doing this over a few active frequencies could cause a delay in acquisition of the real control channel, hence acquisition of the TG, voice channel, and decoding (or receiving if analog).

Status
Not open for further replies.