Tetra decoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

grosminet

Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
321
Reaction score
102
Some french transportation networks are using Simplex /half duplex or full duplex . In some cases, you won't be able to listen to both sides because uplink and downlink are not on the same transmitter .
SAE tetra communications are based on TETRA SDS but not readable with telive software
On many networks all voice and data trafic aren't splited over the all network but only on some cells . Some talkgroups are for the complete network like general annoucement , some only under the bus or metro lines transmitters
 

Matof35

Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2017
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Rennes, France
Thank you "grosminet" for your answer.
Indeed, I happen to see the SDS messages in the log of Telive. The latter partially decodes the sent messages. I have already tried to listen to the 10MHZ frequency below the main frequency, yet I do not hear anything, there is not a frame. Voice traffic that is sent over the entire network is on the same frequency as individual calls. But then, why is it possible to hear regulators when making an individual call?
 

CanesFan95

Was Homeboys-Scanna
Banned
Joined
Feb 14, 2008
Messages
3,377
Reaction score
598
Location
FL
I thought TETRA systems were encrypted? What is the benefit of decoding TETRA when it's encrypted?
 

grosminet

Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
321
Reaction score
102
I have created a GUI program that can start Telive.
If some would like to try out this GUI program, it can be retrieved from the following address: https://github.com/oz1jua/StrTelive

What is the purpose of this program ? assuming telive can be run in an easy way .

As I said for years now , the best way to monitor TETRA is to use Funcubepro + +QTHID + telive . You set the exact frequency on QTHID and gain and it is starting immediatly .

We you use an airspy or RTLSDR , we have to set frequency, gain , and most of the time , we have to take many time to ajust settings (and poor level signals) to decode TETRA .

The best way would have to use GQRX or cubicsdr as a front end and send IQ results to telive . I asked to both developpers many years ago , to adapt their IQ output for TETRA but without any success .
 

oz1jua

Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2014
Messages
140
Reaction score
35
Location
Copenhagen
What is the purpose of this program ? assuming telive can be run in an easy way .

As I said for years now , the best way to monitor TETRA is to use Funcubepro + +QTHID + telive . You set the exact frequency on QTHID and gain and it is starting immediatly .

We you use an airspy or RTLSDR , we have to set frequency, gain , and most of the time , we have to take many time to ajust settings (and poor level signals) to decode TETRA .

The best way would have to use GQRX or cubicsdr as a front end and send IQ results to telive . I asked to both developpers many years ago , to adapt their IQ output for TETRA but without any success .

I have never been a fan of Funcubepro. I use AirSpy becouse I have transmitter under 100 meter from my receiver that send with 50 Watt. This can destroy every receiver. But AirSpy run perfect under these condition.
But the main purpose of this program is a simple start Telive Receivers and Tetrad when testing lots of receivers and freq.
In my City in close we have about 50-60 sites with different freq. and different networks. And to create script for starting all this is cumbersome. What I do is to use this program to start Telive with Receivers and then start allready setup GRC compile to pyton code. Below is a Picture of my program.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot at 2017-09-22 23_07_18.png
    Screenshot at 2017-09-22 23_07_18.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,242

sq5bpf

Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2014
Messages
517
Reaction score
15
i've been to a radio conference today, and some nice people let me play with their tetra equipment there, and play with status messages.

i've pushed a simple update for osmo-tetra-sq5bpf to parse D-STATUS messages

in the logs this will look like this:
FUNC: DSTATUSDEC SSI:1111 SSI2:2222 STATUS:9876 RX:1
(status 9876 sent from 2222 to 1111, note that i assume that the calling SSI is a simple tetra address)

and in tetra-rx output it will look like this:
CPTI:1 CalledSSI:1111 CallingSSI:2222 CallingEXT:0 Status:9876 (0x2694)

the status messages are unique to the network.

common ones:
0 - Emergency (orange panic button on a motorola handheld radio)
65024 - reply when the called device acknowledges receiving a status message
65028 - reply when the called device doesn't exist (bad SSI etc). motorola shows "destination not found"
65029 - not sure what this is, but also an error message. got this a few times when the message was sent to a wrong address

replies are sent with calling ssi 16777213

now i could make a modification to have the status messages appear also in the telive status window, but i'm not sure if it might produce to much output. could people with busy tetra networks test the patch and see what is the maximum amount of status messages in one minute?


EDIT: other status messages are in this document on page 148: http://aeroflex-cdip.ru/eng/pdf/3900-manual3.pdf
 
Last edited:

sq5bpf

Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2014
Messages
517
Reaction score
15
No, I would be 99.99% sure this won't run on an RPI. Tetra is pretty resource hungry.

actually one channel runs fine on a rpi 3

you could probably do two, and maybe stretch this to three with some audio hickups
 

sm0vec

Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2014
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
now i could make a modification to have the status messages appear also in the telive status window, but i'm not sure if it might produce to much output. could people with busy tetra networks test the patch and see what is the maximum amount of status messages in one minute?
[/url]

Thanks, I've tested on a quite busy network, but it's not too much status traffic. Maybe something every 5-10 minutes on the site I checked.

All status messages so far has been 65024. Also in all cases so far the SSI has been the mobile station id, and the SSI2 a GSSI (group). This was the same on two completely independent systems.
 

passie101

Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2015
Messages
43
Reaction score
1
@oz1jua, can you share your program ? It look very handy with multiple sites en receivers
 

oz1jua

Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2014
Messages
140
Reaction score
35
Location
Copenhagen
Thanks, I've tested on a quite busy network, but it's not too much status traffic. Maybe something every 5-10 minutes on the site I checked.

All status messages so far has been 65024. Also in all cases so far the SSI has been the mobile station id, and the SSI2 a GSSI (group). This was the same on two completely independent systems.

A have also testet on 2 sites on same network and on one site it only give same result 5-10 minutes.
The other site it give 0.

It still could be nice to know what is ISSI and GSSI. I know it is not simple to implement from SSI.
I have try to se what different in the hex dump off SSI but cant se the differen in SSI.
So that have to be done in the osmo core code. I have a system I know what is the GSSI and ISSI.
And that system we can use to check against if this is any help.
 

paulania

Newbie
Joined
Oct 23, 2017
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Thanks for making this software!

I'd like to ask a question about the time between a call is made and it gets recorded as OGG.

Taking a look inside the "tetrad" script, I can see there's a sixty second sleep at the end, following a find for the files modified more than two minutes ago. So, would lowering the sleep make the files to get encoded sooner, or is it not enough?

Thanks in advance
 

CqDx

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
May 15, 2003
Messages
1,293
Reaction score
235
Location
US
Hi all

I have been trying to set up two RTLSDR receivers to monitor two different network . However both rtlsdr reports the same device ID when I use the lsusb command. Is there a way to “force” one instance of gnuradio to use a particular rtlsdr receiver?
 

EA8DEP

Newbie
Joined
Nov 4, 2017
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
KML Formatting

Hello!
I don't know if you remember me. I helped you to fix a bug with the locations. So much time ago.
Now I need a little modification, but I don't know where or how to do it. I need that my KML files generated by TELIVE use the SSI Alias instead of the SSI for the name of the marks.

How can I do it?

I leave a photo so you understand better what I need to do.

73 :)
 

Attachments

  • tetrakml.JPG
    tetrakml.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 2,550
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top