TetraNetMonitor UI Experimentation

Ubbe

If it is two mobiles/portables talking to each other in a private call, they could be on different sites and you'll need to monitor both sites. If it is a dispatcher on a console you'll never hear the mobile/portable as the site doesn't run in repeater mode as there's no one needed to listen to what the mobile/portable are saying, besides the console.

/Ubbe

thewraith2008

I am trying to listen to both sides of a private call. Most of the time I get only one side of the conversation and I (think) understand why.
What would be the best solution to that problem?
If you see [half] indicated in the event log, then there is nothing that can be done.
As Ubbe pointed out, one of the ISSI will not be heard for one of the reasons he stated.

While you maybe monitoring many LAs and the two parts of the call maybe present on those LAs, TNM does not link calls that span different LAs.
This would not be an easy thing to accomplish as LAs don't send details about another call setup on a different LA.

Latest version (v1.1.0.2) can be found in this post here: Download

Marco192

Thanks for the great explanation it makes perfect sense.
In my case it's a private call with dispatch, and [half] is indicated.

In theory would it be possible to decode the traffic on to the uplink frequencies?

I have an LA on that network that rarely gets any traffic that's heard in other LAs. Why is that? I assume that no user is tuned to the specific group used on the call, or even registered on the network in that LA ?!

thewraith2008

In theory would it be possible to decode the traffic on to the uplink frequencies?
Not with the plug-in as it stands. None of the code exists to deal with the uplink.
I have never been able to receive any uplink here with a good quality signal to be able to test with.
Decoding of uplink audio could be straight forward, but any signalling would require tons of coding and reading and it's a lot of effort for little reward I think.

I have an LA on that network that rarely gets any traffic that's heard in other LAs. Why is that? I assume that no user is tuned to the specific group used on the call, or even registered on the network in that LA ?!
If no MS moves into that area (LA) then no traffic will occur there.
MS's could be restricted to certain areas.
Not really sure how providers handle the MS populations and what different teirs of service is provided.
You can look at the 'MM Registrations' tab to see what MS's are seen on the LA(main carrier)

Marco192

Not with the plug-in as it stands. None of the code exists to deal with the uplink.
I have never been able to receive any uplink here with a good quality signal to be able to test with.
Decoding of uplink audio could be straight forward, but any signalling would require tons of coding and reading and it's a lot of effort for little reward I think.

If it ever becomes interesting to you I could provide you with uplink recordings for you to analyze

If no MS moves into that area (LA) then no traffic will occur there.
MS's could be restricted to certain areas.
Not really sure how providers handle the MS populations and what different teirs of service is provided.
You can look at the 'MM Registrations' tab to see what MS's are seen on the LA(main carrier)

Thanks for the suggestion. It was very interesting to observe the data. Indeed, there were no MS tuned to the main, most frequent group in this area.
Also I noticed another interesting thing observing the registration tab and logs. Most of the SSIs are registering with a unique GSSI. That would indicate that they have programed the system and the station in way that every MS is tuned to a different group?!

Is that a feature of tetra and a normal thing or do they just have a strange way of programing the network.

thewraith2008

If it ever becomes interesting to you I could provide you with uplink recordings for you to analyze

Thanks for the suggestion. It was very interesting to observe the data. Indeed, there were no MS tuned to the main, most frequent group in this area.
Also I noticed another interesting thing observing the registration tab and logs. Most of the SSIs are registering with a unique GSSI. That would indicate that they have programed the system and the station in way that every MS is tuned to a different group?!

Is that a feature of tetra and a normal thing or do they just have a strange way of programing the network.
Worth noting is then TNM (plug-in) is not as good as the TTT (plug-in) for this information as I have spend more time trying to get TTT working right before pushing them into this project.

wkrgr

Hi Wraith,

Still using TNM a lot, monitoring 10 LA’s 24/7 and virtually no crashes/errors. I do recognize the point made earlier that audio quality seems to be a bit better with the TTT plugin, and I’ve also noticed that the TTT plugin seems to do a better job decoding certain LA’s.

For instance with the TTT plugin I see it decoding certain LA’s a 100%, with excellent audio quality, while with the TNM plugin the signal looks scattered and audio stutters (decodes at ~70%). Can that be due to the fact that there are multiple instances of the plugin running at the same time?

I would LOVE to see a version of TNM with recording, SDS and UI-sound someday.

Having said that, thanks again for this great piece of software. I know your time is limited and Tetra will soon be phasing out for you, so any effort you are putting into this Is greaty appreciated!

Cheers

twotone12

Seem to be going wrong somewhere.
All appears okay,strong signals,TNM showing raw data (MAC-LLE-MLE)

But no calls/groups data.

Must be some simple step i am missing...

Any suggestions.?

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for pointing me to the @thewraith2008
I installed today, and have read through all the posts here. Initial testing is good. Audio has a few more artifacts compared with TTT, but I think I can live with that!

How is the audio routed? Right now I have told SDRSharp to route it's audio to a digital source instead of speakers. Demodulated audio comes out of the speakers fine. However I would like to route the demodulated audio to a Virtual Audio Cable so I can send the output to my Zello channel. How could I go about selecting the audio output device of TNM?

Cryptoxic

Hello everyone! First time poster here, I downloaded the app and have been using it to decode multiple channels and it has been working great. Even on the latest version of sdrsharp to add. I have one suggestion tho, would it be possible to add a volume control into the network monitor app itself? It's a bit too soft for me and I'm having to max out my windows volume and I don't want to get blasted when I go to open a youtube video xD Thanks for the great work @thewraith2008 !

thewraith2008

Even on the latest version of sdrsharp to add. I have one suggestion tho, would it be possible to add a volume control into the network monitor app itself? It's a bit too soft for me and I'm having to max out my windows volume and I don't want to get blasted when I go to open a youtube video xD Thanks for the great work @thewraith2008 !
The library that handles the audio is already at it's maximum level.
You should check to see if the Windows Volume Mixer has the maximum level set for 'Tetra Network Monitor'

Cryptoxic

The library that handles the audio is already at it's maximum level.
You should check to see if the Windows Volume Mixer has the maximum level set for 'Tetra Network Monitor'

Yeah that was what I was meaning. I set my windows volume mixer to the max and then after I'm done with listening, I forgot about the volume and go to youtube and get my ear blasted off because I left my volume at max

thewraith2008

TNM only outputs to the default audio output device.

You could use either:
- The WAVE device, which will also hear any other sounds the systems hears.
- Change the default output device (and set 'Listen to this device'). This would most likely still have same problem above as other programs that use that default audio device will now start using this one.

Others out there may know of some different method.

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
TNM only outputs to the default audio output device.

You could use either:
- The WAVE device, which will also hear any other sounds the systems hears.
- Change the default output device (and set 'Listen to this device'). This would most likely still have same problem above as other programs that use that default audio device will now start using this one.

I believe I tried that but still couldn't get it to work...
I'll have another crack at it. Thanks for getting back to me.

wkrgr

Hi Wraith,

Two quick questions: I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the priority/lockout functionality of TNM was not yet functional or fully developed. However I can set priorities and lock out GSSI's perfectly. Q: Was the lockout functionality of individual ISSI's ever implemented and, if so, does it lock out the ISSI when it initiates a call or also when the ISSI receives an individual call from an unlocked ISSI?

Also: in TTT I there is a delay or "hold" when listening in to GSSI's to prevent the application from moving on to another group to soon, so that it is easier to follow a conversation. Is it conceivable (or is there a ray of hope) that that functionality could ever be added to TNM?

thewraith2008

Hi Wraith,

Two quick questions: I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the priority/lockout functionality of TNM was not yet functional or fully developed. However I can set priorities and lock out GSSI's perfectly. Q: Was the lockout functionality of individual ISSI's ever implemented and, if so, does it lock out the ISSI when it initiates a call or also when the ISSI receives an individual call from an unlocked ISSI?
There is no ISSI lockout.

Also: in TTT I there is a delay or "hold" when listening in to GSSI's to prevent the application from moving on to another group to soon, so that it is easier to follow a conversation. Is it conceivable (or is there a ray of hope) that that functionality could ever be added to TNM?
No timeline on continued development. I would have liked to do more with TNM but the local network shutdown has made me loose interest in it all.

houge

Hi.
Thank you very much for a excellent program.
Im wondering, is the REC in Groups not active, i can´t click it.
Tried to set recording to "true" in NetMonitorGroups and reload. But its still not tagged in Groups.
Is this function not "ready" yet?

Using V1.1.0.2

Cheers
Houge.