Texas Emergency Communications Center ("North Com")

I currently have Texas Emergency Communications Center ("North Com") programmed into my scanner via sentinel.
I do live in the area that this comm center dispatches for (Used to be a firefighter for Cypress-Creek VFD) & I do have the NXDN upgrade on my SDS100.

The only frequency I ever receive, albeit very rarely is Com 2 Fire Dispatch and none of the other channels.
I am not sure if some of the channels are encrypted or if there is another reason.
I have tried listing the channels in order for Harris Count y ESD11 under TxWARN, but still nothing.

Attached, please find the .hpe file.

Attachments

• Texas Emergency Comm Center (North Comm).zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 14

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I currently have Texas Emergency Communications Center ("North Com") programmed into my scanner via sentinel.
I do live in the area that this comm center dispatches for (Used to be a firefighter for Cypress-Creek VFD) & I do have the NXDN upgrade on my SDS100.

The only frequency I ever receive, albeit very rarely is Com 2 Fire Dispatch and none of the other channels.
I am not sure if some of the channels are encrypted or if there is another reason.
I have tried listing the channels in order for Harris Count y ESD11 under TxWARN, but still nothing.

Do you have the NXDN option in your scanner?

Oops, never mind.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

Looking at your file, you have TxWARN twice. The first instance has only Port of Houston talkgroups, but every site in TxWARN. None of the talkgroups for the agency you want.

Your second "system" is conventional channels for that fire group. That specific channel that you say you can receive is not NXDN. It is a conventional Uhf frequency, with a DCS (digital PL) tone setting. Most of the other channels in that system are entered as NXDN, with a RAN setting,

Your "third' system in your list, another instance of TxWARN, has the TxWARN talkgroups for some EMS channels, no "fire" specifically for your area of interest. Also, while you have talkgroups you do not have a site in that system. So, without a site, that system will not be receivable.

I don't know enough about the layout for channels, both conventional & trunked system talkgroups, as well as which sites you need. Someone in the Houston area needs to advise what is needed.

Not sure how you are "creating" these systems, but you're skipping a number of steps.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am currently using sentinel, although I am planning on getting proscan as soon as I get paid from working my 2nd job.
This can all be done in Sentinel. You just need to carefully choose what to append to a Favorites list.

What site (in TxWARN) is closest to the area the covered by this group you want to monitor?

(edit to add)
Which talkgroups are related to "North Com"?

Last edited:
This can all be done in Sentinel. You just need to carefully choose what to append to a Favorites list.

What site (in TxWARN) is closest to the area the covered by this group you want to monitor?

(edit to add)
Which talkgroups are related to "North Com"?
I just realized, after looking over it all again, I forgot .the talkgroups (sites).
Will need to add Harris County talkgroups to the list.

Lesson learned: Always add associated talkgroups to the list regardless of system used.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I just realized, after looking over it all again, I forgot .the talkgroups (sites).
Will need to add Harris County talkgroups to the list.

Lesson learned: Always add associated talkgroups to the list regardless of system used.
I see that you intend to purchase ProScan in the near future. If you have not already done so, download it and use the 30 day free trial period. Full functionality is available, not a limited feature “demo” download

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Don't take this the wrong way, but as @werinshades commented in a different thread your going way to fast with this. Slow down, take your time. Get one agency/department working then expand from there. And as I said in a different thread of yours (hmm...sensing a trend here), not all agencies are allowed on all sites. If you just import everything you'll get stuck on either a Zone 1 or 3 site and will probably miss some of what you want to hear.

Tell us what part of the area you're in and I'll tell you which TxWARN site would be best to use. Concentrate on getting that one working and then slowly add more. And keep in mind, you can't scan everything in the Houston area at once, that's why many of us have multiple radios.

Last edited:
Don't take this the wrong way, but as @werinshades commented in a different thread your going way to fast with this. Slow down, take your time. Get one agency/department working then expand from there. And as I said in a different thread of yours (hmm...sensing a trend here), not all agencies are allowed on all sites. If you just import everything you'll get stuck on either a Zone 1 or 3 site and will probably miss some of what you want to hear.

Tell us what part of the area you're in and I'll tell you which TxWARN site would be best to use. Concentrate on getting that one working and then slowly add more. And keep in mind, you can't scan everything in the Houston area at once, that's why many of us have multiple radios.
Don't worry, I'm not going to take it the wrong way.
Just trying to figure out how to get TECC picked up on my scanner, as all other agencies I put in work without issue.

Here is a link to google map of zip code 77070, where I live.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Don't worry, I'm not going to take it the wrong way.
Just trying to figure out how to get TECC picked up on my scanner, as all other agencies I put in work without issue.

Here is a link to google map of zip code 77070, where I live.
Perfect!

For Zone 1 agencies (HCSO, Constables, most non-City of Houston FD's) I'd use site 01-013 (NW Harris County Simulcast). For HPD/HFD use site 03-003 (Houston Public Safety NW Simulcast).

Be sure the appropriate Service Types are turned on for the TG's you want to listen to. So for North Comm be sure "Fire Tac" is turned so you'll hear more than just dispatch.

Perfect!

For Zone 1 agencies (HCSO, Constables, most non-City of Houston FD's) I'd use site 01-013 (NW Harris County Simulcast). For HPD/HFD use site 03-003 (Houston Public Safety NW Simulcast).

Be sure the appropriate Service Types are turned on for the TG's you want to listen to. So for North Comm be sure "Fire Tac" is turned so you'll hear more than just dispatch.
I will have to put these in after I get home from work later on.
Will post the results back here once I have done so.

And last but certainly not least, thanks for the help.

As for ESD11, they are on PTToC (Push to talk over celluar). The talkgroups on TXWARN are only used as interop with outside agencies. You will not hear their dispatch traffic as it is only on Cellular.
And from my understanding of the law, since it is cellular, it is against the law for scanners to pick these up or modified to pick up cellular signals.

nd5y

And from my understanding of the law, since it is cellular, it is against the law for scanners to pick these up or modified to pick up cellular signals.
There is no narrowband analog FM cellular left. Even if you could modify a scanner to receive all the different cellular bands it still would not be able to decode LTE or other wideband signals that the carriers currenly use, let alone decrypt anything.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
There is no narrowband analog FM cellular left. Even if you could modify a scanner to receive all the different cellular bands it still would not be able to decode LTE or other wideband signals that the carriers currenly use, let alone decrypt anything.
Not to mention its not cellular voice, but data payloads that happen to ride over cellular. They can also connect to WiFi for in-building coverage.