• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

The death of 800 MHz Nextel iDEN network (in pictures-spectrum view before and after)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flecom

hrmm, wonder if I can pickup an iDen station off of ebay and setup my own nextel setup, 6:1 is nice! :D

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
hrmm, wonder if I can pickup an iDen station off of ebay and setup my own nextel setup, 6:1 is nice! :D

You would need an iSC also, but if you got one and could get a load with "ISO" (Isolated Site Operation, sort of like site trunking), then yes you could.

flecom

You would need an iSC also, but if you got one and could get a load with "ISO" (Isolated Site Operation, sort of like site trunking), then yes you could.

don't suppose you could point me in the right direction? I don't know much (read: anything) about iDen...

also I wonder if it would be legal? I have an 800mhz license in the SMR portion of the band, guess it would just take an update to the emission types

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
/\ im with this guy. very limited info on iden systems. does the ISC eliminate the need to connect to lets say a harmony controller? I have an open 800 MHZ antenna at 500' just asking for an iden system

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
don't suppose you could point me in the right direction? I don't know much (read: anything) about iDen...
Honestly, to start from the beginning would be a lot. It's like asking how to play and be successful at chess without ever knowing anything about it. Getting the hardware is possible but getting the right load will be the very difficult part.

also I wonder if it would be legal? I have an 800mhz license in the SMR portion of the band, guess it would just take an update to the emission types
It would also need to be the correct trunked service class.

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
Honestly, to start from the beginning would be a lot. It's like asking how to play and be successful at chess without ever knowing anything about it. Getting the hardware is possible but getting the right load will be the very difficult part.

QUOTE]

How about a crash course? lol.

It was my understanding (please correct me if I am wrong) that you need the radios (BR's) which can be had on Ebay already for a fair price. You then need a site controller, and then you need a larger controller that is usually at a larger or main site. The second controller is typically pretty expensive unless you know of another controller you can connect to remotely. Then, you need software from Motorola (not cheap). then obviously the antenna, dublexor, ect.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
You need the BRs, and the iDEN site controller (iSC) plus the interconnecting cabling. The "load" is the software that this iSC will run. You won't get it from Motorola. It would have to be an inside source (NOT ME nor do I know how to get it). All other aspects (RMC, duplexers, GPS, antenna, etc) to the site are standard trunked radio parts.

I wouldn't suggest trying this unless someone has access to - or a source for - everything. Sourcing everything you need is the difficult part and you don't just call Motorola up and purchase what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.