The difference between handheld and base scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie54

Is there a difference between handheld scanners and base scanners in terms of reception? As of now I have a handheld scanner and was thinking of upgrading to a base. Just wondering if there is a difference.
Thanks.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
It does depend a little on the specific model scanners you are comparing. Generally speaking some hand-held scanners have base models which use identical circuitry on the inside (with added power supply and some mechanical differences). But the base model may have a different default antenna. If you're using an external (outside) antenna, then of course that is not an issue. The antenna makes a bigger difference than most people think.

SAR923

Most handhelds and base/mobile versions have the same electronics. The basic difference is a larger speaker, (usually) better sound, and maybe a larger keypad or display. You can make a handheld sound as good as a base/mobile radio with a decent external speaker. If the larger keyboard and maybe larger display doesn't matter, then there's really no significant difference. As GM said, the antenna really makes the difference but you can hook up a base antenna to a handheld or base/mobile. I have a PRO-96 and a PRO-2096. Both are electronically identical and both have the same performance when hooked up to a base antenna.

N8IAA

There is such a size and weight deference you would think that there would be more than just the speaker size and a couple extra features.
HT: batteries, Base: external power. HT: lower audio, Base: louder audio. HT: have to push lamp key to light up display, Base: have to push lamp key to dim or shut off backlight.
Larry

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
HT: batteries, Base: external power. HT: lower audio, Base: louder audio. HT: have to push lamp key to light up display, Base: have to push lamp key to dim or shut off backlight.
Larry

Thats my point, my 996t weighs 3 1/2 lbs and my 396t weights a little over half a pound (.60) "with the batteries". What is there that makes up that much weight besides the case. Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking the 996t, It's a great radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.