The difference between radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

upsmannj

HI can someone tell me the difference between the PRO-197 and the PRO-652 also the PRO-106 and the PRO-651? Thank you Eric

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
HI can someone tell me the difference between the PRO-197 and the PRO-652 also the PRO-106 and the PRO-651? Thank you Eric
The Pro-197 & Pro-652 are virtually the same scanner. Both will cover the same frequencies and system types, and use the same programming scheme. The Pro-106 and Pro-651 are also virtual twins. Operation, programming, and capabilities the same.

The differences: The Pro-106 and Pro-197 were manufactured by the now defunct GRE. The Pro-651 & Pro-652 are manufactured by Whistler. There are a few but insignificant hardware differences between the two manufacturers, chiefly due to certain components used by GRE being no longer available, the Whistler manufactured units using the current functional equivalent.

While the 651 & 651 are supposedly "current" models at Radio Shack, the indications from other posts indicate that The Shack is more or less abandoning the scanner business, no longer accepting units for repair and changing the warranty from the advertised (on the box and website) 12 months to one month. Unless you got a truly amazing deal, too good to pass up, you would have much better support buying the equivalent Whistler models, WS1040 & WS1065.

RDGDigital

The PRO-106 & PRO-197 were made for Radio Shack by GRECOM before they closed down their scanner manufacturing facilities. After closing their facilities, they sold the intellectual property rights for their scanners to Whistler. Whistler then made the PRO-651 & PRO-652 for Radio Shack, which were based on the GRECOM design. My understanding is that they were nearly identical with only a few minor components needing upgraded because they were no longer available.

Hope this helps.

trp2525

The PRO-106 is essentially the same radio as the PRO-651 (as well as the GRE PSR-500 and the Whistler WS1040). The PRO-106 was made by GRE (as was the GRE PSR-500). The PRO-651 is made by Whistler (as is the Whistler WS1040).

The PRO-197 is essentially the same radio as the PRO-652 (as well as the GRE PSR-600 and the Whistler WS1065). The PRO-197 was made by GRE (as was the GRE PSR-600). The PRO-652 is made by Whistler (as is the Whistler WS1065).

The PRO-651/PRO-652 have a newer version of firmware that is available (version 2.9) that addressed an Edacs issue. AFAIK that Edacs update was never released for the PRO-106/PRO-197. It was, however, released for the GRE versions (in firmware version 2.3) and Whistler versions (in firmware version 2.9) of the equivalent radios.

From a practical standpoint you would be better off purchasing the Whistler version of the radio you are interested in. The Whistler radios include the PC programming cable and the handheld radio includes the AC adapter. Those items would have to be purchased separately and at additional cost if you purchased the Radio Shack PRO scanners. Also I think everyone will agree that Whistler has more support available (both in- and out-of-warranty) compared to the "new" post-bankruptcy Radio Shack.

Status
Not open for further replies.