The REMtronix 842 Antenna Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Hams and scanner buffs end up with a box or two of cases, antennas, chargers, and other stuff that they bought and used for some period of time and then put in the junk box. Gun owners end up with a box (or two) of holsters, magazine carriers, and other stuff that they bought and used for some period of time.

I have several RS and Remtronix 800Mhz antennas that I no longer use. Oh, and a Comet and GRE antenna too. I'm going to put them up for sale somewhere just to get rid of them.

As far as the holsters, I have to do the same, but I'll inflict that on a shooting forum. ;)

Doggone it, I can't help but recall someone awhile back on RR writing about "I got a drawer full of antennas throughout the years...". I think I am joining the club now.

I just bought another REM-820S for my BCD436HP...guess I'll be picking up some REM-842S, too!

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Two large Ziploc bags for me. It's interesting that I have some rubber duck antennas that are 40 to 45 years old and in great shape and others no more than 20 years old that just crumbled to dust.

Looking forward to this antenna coming this week, just for shts and giggles.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
Nice antenna but compared to my diamond rh77ca it's not quite as good but close

So after a couple of days my results are fairly close to others... on 800 i can still receive the Springfield 800 system equally to my Radio Shack branded 800b, uhf in the 400's about the same as my REM VU-100 and Diamond rh77ca: and vhf-hi just slightly less as well as the VU-100 and rh77ca.
A pretty well rounded antenna for me to take on my trips to Springfield since I listen to all three bands and won't have to swap out antennas along the way now.
I did compare it several times on the vhf-hi with the other Remtronix dual bander and the Diamond and there is one distant NOAA station they can consistently receive enough to hear that is just noise on the 842, however most agencies i monitor 50 miles away in the 150.xxx area are all pretty equal on all 3, with the 800b just able to pick up agencies at around 15 miles out max on vhf-hi (which it is not tuned for anyways).
I don't have anything in the 700.xxx range to compare in my area.

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Got my REM-842S on Monday, and I am pleasantly surprised that I can pick up adjacent counties that aren't on a 800Mhz system, but then again a tuned antenna is way better than the stock rubber ducky.

For local county stuff and travel in town, I will continue to use my SDS100 with REM-820S since it's a 800Mhz system, but if I anticipate travel outside the county, the REM-842S will be onboard, otherwise it'll live on the BCD436HP that is now relegated to primary analog duty.

The drawer pile of scanner stuff grows :)

paramedic228

Premium Subscriber
Something related, I guess, since the topic is Remtronix antennas for the SDS100. I just got a new SDS100, but for some reason, my old Remtronix REM-810S will not thread on all of the way. I don't want to force it. It was working fine on my BCD436, so I'm not sure what's wrong all of a sudden. I was wondering if anyone knows what the thread configuration is. I might be able to borrow a thread tap/die to chase the threads and see if that is the problem before I buy a new antenna.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Something related, I guess, since the topic is Remtronix antennas for the SDS100. I just got a new SDS100, but for some reason, my old Remtronix REM-810S will not thread on all of the way. I don't want to force it. It was working fine on my BCD436, so I'm not sure what's wrong all of a sudden. I was wondering if anyone knows what the thread configuration is. I might be able to borrow a thread tap/die to chase the threads and see if that is the problem before I buy a new antenna.

They design a slightly different one for the SDS-100 that includes the o-ring for weather sealing sealing. Model is REM-820S. I'm not sure how physically different the two are, but they did go out of their way to make an SDS specific one. It's to do with the collar though, not the threads.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I might be able to borrow a thread tap/die to chase the threads and see if that is the problem before I buy a new antenna.

Don't do that. It has nothing to do with the threads, and everything to do with the plastic collar around the outside of the SMA connector. A regular SMA antenna will not mate correctly.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I might be able to borrow a thread tap/die to chase the threads and see if that is the problem before I buy a new antenna.
Absolutely don't do that. The collar around the SMA connector means the exposed portion is about 2.5mm shorter than the connector on the 436, and most SMA antennas don't thread on far enough for the center pin to connect. Chasing the threads will just loosen the connector even more.

paramedic228

Premium Subscriber
Don't do that. It has nothing to do with the threads, and everything to do with the plastic collar around the outside of the SMA connector. A regular SMA antenna will not mate correctly.
I see that is actually the case after looking at it about 20 more times and finally breaking down and accepting that a new antenna, likely the Remtronix 820S is the best way (for what I am listening to most of the time).

DJ11DLN

I have been playing around with my 820 for a couple of weeks now and it seems to match the REM/RS 800 performance in that band while only giving up a tiny bit to the RH77ca on VHF-Hi/UHF. And frankly the handier size makes it a much nicer antenna than the latter to carry around. It hasn't poked me in the armpit yet. I think I'm going to be ordering a couple more of them.

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
I took the SDS100 and both antennas out for a ride. I found a good location where I should be able to get wide area reception based on past experience.

What I found was that on 900Mhz the 842B is slightly superior to the 820B, on 800Mhz they are more or less equal. On 700Mhz the 842B is not as good as the 820B, but it's not as deaf as it appeared in my house. In fact sitting in the driveway in my truck, the 842B picked up the 700Mhz system that it wouldn't pick up in the house at all.

On UHF/UHF T, the 842B is very good. It's noticeably better than the 820B which isn't bad on that band at all.

On VHF, the 842B is much better than the 820B. I locked on to my "Private Ambulance" system which has to different agencies that operate VHF repeaters. Sitting on the seat of my truck, the 842B picked up both systems primary repeaters pretty well. I expect if I had the radio up on the dash, it would be better.

Since the SDS scanners process digital audio better, I think my next test will be using a BNC Right Angle adapter and plugging the 842B in to see how it well it works on the 536HP.
Garys,
Give the Remtronics REM-830B 700/800 MHz Base Angle BNC a shot!!

Status
Not open for further replies.