• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tk 2312

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medic2005

Currently have a tk 250 (G) 160 Channels , looking to upgrade to a 2312 , any one using a 2312 ? 2180 bit outta price range . 2nd part is Kenwood better than Motorola , Kenwood does seem to b more user friendly .
Thanks

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
For an analog only portable I really like my 2180. That model has been around for a while and I'll say we have seen very few come through the shop for repair. The 2312 is newer so there is less experience with service history but I would suspect they are built just as well.

Kenwood program software is fairly easy to use and the layout stays the same pretty much throughout their FPU line. Should be able figure it out in no time.

I can give you my opinion on the features as compared to a 2180.

2312 is conventional only, will not do LTR trunking.
128 channels. Quite a bit, but a 2180 will do 512.
Has fleetsync and DTMF for signaling, but will not do MDC1200 or (for you fire guys) 2tone decode or encode, bummer!
The buttons have only a single function whereas the 2180 they have a 2nd function which doubles the things you can do from the panel. Neither models have a menu function to access multiple items.
The 2312 is FPP capable, but clumsy. Not as easy to do like a 2180 with the tacticle feature set.
Both have OST with a 40 slot memory.
The 2312 uses the 2 prong accessory jack for a speaker mic. It's a little easier to damage that than the type used on the 2180, however it should come with a plastic cover that keeps the plug in place and protect it some.

Other than that, it stacks up with a 2180 and is very capable.

Last edited:

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
I have 4 TK-2312 Portables in service and they have been for about 6 months. They seem to be a good radio,user friendly and hold up well. Receives good and transmit audio is good. I would recommend them. Though the 2180 does beat them all out :)

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
...but will not do MDC1200 or (for you fire guys) 2tone decode or encode, bummer!

Actually, according to Kenwood's brochure, the 2312 will do single-tone, two-tone and MDC encode/decode!

I've been thinking about getting a new mobile, and have been looking at the Tk-7360, which seems to be the mobile equivalent of the 2312; and also have a couple of questions. (they should also apply to the 2312)

Do these newer radios still have the same great audio that Kenwood is known for in the older series?

How fast is the priority sample? I have never used a Kenwood radio, but other radios I've used (Icom, Vertex) have had very long priority sample times, leaving large gaps in the receive audio when using priority scan and makes conversations hard to follow. The exception is Motorola, with their radios having a very fast sample that does not really disrupt the audio; I'm hoping Kenwood is similar.

I have noticed from threads like this, that this series doesn't seem to have all of the "configurability" of the x180 series (that I'm also looking at). Is there much more stuff like that missing from the software for these radios?

Does the 7360 also have FPP like some other Kenwood mobiles, and the 2312?

Any answers would be much appreciated!

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Actually, according to Kenwood's brochure, the 2312 will do single-tone, two-tone and MDC encode/decode!

My bad. I was looking at features in the software FPU and had pulled up the one for the 2212 by mistake.
The 2312 does have 2 tone, plus fleetsync and MDC1200. You can have fleetsync and MDC1200 both at the same time (by zone) which trumps the 2180 which cannot.

I find the audio holes for priority in Kenwoods are pretty much the same between models. It's not bad but it will blank a syllable. Has a lot to do with how the radio looks for carrier and then signalling. Granted some Motorolas are very quick. One thing you can do in Kenwoods is adjust the time between samples. I like to bump my radios up from 0.5 to 0.9 secs.

Looks like the 2312 has an option for self programming (FPP) but that option does not show in the 7360 software.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info!

As long as the audio holes aren't as bad as my Icoms, which I estimate to have around a 100-175ms "hole" that sometimes cuts off entire words, it should be fine. And If it's understandable at 900 and even 500ms intervals, it sounds like it will be much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.