• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-7180 Wide/Narrow conventional: Latest Firmware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

we7u

I recently bought a couple of TK-7180's. My programming setup is working: -D software so I can program Wide/Narrow on a per-channel basis (I understand the -DN software forces narrow-band only). I do ham as well as SAR so require wide and narrow channels.

Which firmware does conventional LMR and allows both wide and narrow? Where can I obtain it? Perhaps the narrow-band restriction is set by the programming S/W only and I don't need to worry about this restriction in the firmware? I want to update firmware before putting them in service, but won't if I might lose wide-band capability.

Also: What are "tactical functions" (TFS) and are they useful to me?

Searching the forums I found mention of these sets of firmware:

x180 radio Checksum F1FF (v1.20)
x180 radio Checksum 838C (Tactical functions)
x180 radio Checksum 035C (v1.22)

I'm new to LMR Kenwoods, but have a couple of TM-742A's that I love and use. Any help appreciated!

--Curt

we7u

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No matter what KPG software or radio firmware you have, the VHF radios will do both wide and narrow in the 136-150 range without any issues. Above 150 they are forced to narrow band with the KPG software that ends with "n".
Newer software is compatible with older firmware, so it's in the KPG software.

If you need to do wideband outside the 136-150MHz range, then you can buy a "W-license" from Kenwood that will allow a properly purchased copy of KPG to do wide band. I have it for KPG-95DN and KPG-111DN. It's tied to the software license key, so you'll need that off your original software.

Obvious disclaimers about using narrow where the FCC says you have to goes here, but I'll leave that out since I'm sure you understand it. (right?)

Don't mess with firmware unless you need to. If the radios are working like you need them to, you shouldn't need to update firmware.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Anyone know where to find firmware v1.22 for the TK-7180's? Answers to my other questions in the original post are appreciated too!

--Curt

I guess I type too slow and missed your response.

1.22 is the latest version of firmware for these radios. You can get it from your Kenwood dealer.

we7u

I saw warnings in the programming S/W about the firmware being old: Was why I originally wanted to update. I may want to do wide-band receive for the NOAA weather station channels now that I think of it, which should be the only wide-band channels I need above 150 MHz. If I can program both radios and use them successfully as they are, I probably won't reflash them. Also: These were Ebay acquisitions so I doubt Kenwood dealers would want to talk to me about firmware. Thanks for your help!

Also: What are "tactical functions" (TFS) and are they useful to me?

The tactical feature set, or TFS, is basically a command zone to be able to input your own channels into a single "command" zone (much like the CDF firmware for the 90 series mobiles I've heard). It is strictly a firmware upgrade feature that is encoded with your radios serial number in the firmware itself (single firmware file for 1 radio, not multiple radios).
I am just telling you what I have heard as I never upgraded any of the x180 series radios I've had to the TFS firmware.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I saw warnings in the programming S/W about the firmware being old: Was why I originally wanted to update. I may want to do wide-band receive for the NOAA weather station channels now that I think of it, which should be the only wide-band channels I need above 150 MHz. If I can program both radios and use them successfully as they are, I probably won't reflash them. Also: These were Ebay acquisitions so I doubt Kenwood dealers would want to talk to me about firmware. Thanks for your help!

You'd be OK running NOAA/NWR on narrow band. May not sound as nice, but it'll work.

I usually don't recommend updating firmware unless you are having a specific issue that the new FW fixes.

Buying a W-license has nothing to do with the radio or where you got it. It has to do with the copy of the KPG software. They'll want the key, so that needs to be legally purchased software.

I have it for our radios since our PD/Fire has a couple of marine VHF channels programmed for interoperability with USCG.
Usually not an issue with VHF radios now that all our stuff is narrow band. On the other hand, if you use a UHF radio for GMRS or Amateur, the UHF software doesn't let you do wide band on those frequencies, still forces you to narrow. Considering a lot of the guys at Kenwood are hams, it would make sense they'd address that, but it may have to do with amateurs being a secondary user on 70cm. Not sure the 8180/3180 have Part 95 certs, so maybe the reason for no wide on the GMRS channels.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
The easiest answer is to use the readily available 89D (not DN). It doesn't enforce narrowband and does everything else you'll need.

And yes, the x180 series are Part 95.

The firmware doesn't enforce narrowband, the software does. That's the difference between 89D and 89DN.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Correct, but newer firmware in the radio won't always work with older software.
Often (not always) when new firmware comes out, especially if it offers new features, you'll be required to update the KPG software.
That's why I always will encourage people to NOT upgrade firmware unless there is a specific need for a fix or new function.

Latest programming software is KPG-89DN v1.61, released in November of 2012, just before the narrow banding requirement took place in the USA.

Good to know they are Part 95 certified. Glad someone is still making good GMRS suitable radios.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Agreed, I doubt it costs much, but makes a big difference to end users like us.

My 89D is also 1.61 dated 2010 I believe (not in front of me). I believe all the work went into enforcement and none else.

Status
Not open for further replies.