TM-281a Programming Cable Schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Methus

Hello all!

I was wondering if anyone had or by chance knows where to find the schematic for the KPG-46U. I did some searching but so far can only find information on the cable in general or sites selling manufactured ones. I did find a YouTube video for the construction of a programming cable for the TM-271a. It seems it's just a RJ-45 to RJ-45 connection though. Or am I wrong..?

Thanks for any help,

Methus

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
The KPG-46UM is a USB cable. It contains both a USB to RS-232 converter and a RS-232 to TTL level shifter. This cable requires a driver for the computer to be used. A KPG-46 is RS-232 serial cable only and contains only the TTL converter. You can find schematics everywhere, try repeater builder.

Methus

I couldn't find any information on the KPG-46 cable on Repeat Builder, except that you can change the plugin to make a KPG-4S. I couldn't even find information for my radio (TM-281a) on the site.

SCPD

QRT
FYI, you can buy the USB to RJ45 cable on EBay for a fraction of the Kenwood cable. The one I bought uses a Prolific chipset.

mkoser

FYI, you can buy the USB to RJ45 cable on EBay for a fraction of the Kenwood cable. The one I bought uses a Prolific chipset.

Can you use one of the easily had USB to RJ45 adapters that can be found pretty much anywhere (used to cheaply extend USB device cables) to program this radio? Does the USB programming cable contain any other circuitry that is needed?

I have a ton of 3 foot USB cables, a ton of RJ45 connectors and a crimper. Can I make my own? Anyone have that schematic?

Thanks,

MK

SCPD

QRT
Can you use one of the easily had USB to RJ45 adapters that can be found pretty much anywhere (used to cheaply extend USB device cables) to program this radio? Does the USB programming cable contain any other circuitry that is needed?

No and yes - in that order.

They are using a usb-to-serial chip (aka Prolific chipset.)

Mine looks like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Program...-KPG-46U-TM-281A-TM-281-TM-261A-/180822732824

I think I paid around $20 for mine -- can't remember off-hand.

mkoser

Thank you for the reply.

I just ordered this cable "http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120869877354&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160#ht_3297wt_1139"

Hopefully it will work, it was about half the price of the "kenwood" cable,.

Thanks,

MK

mkoser

Status
Not open for further replies.