And wanted to copy the traffic of Tooele County,
What UCA site would be he best site?
Chris

mrlthse

Yep,
I have tried Nelson Peak
and Little Farnworth / City creek.
My problem is I have the antenna
in my window seal in the basement (North Facing)
So, some of the signal can"t get in.
But, I do receive City creek with four of five bars
I'll just have to settle with there VHF Freqs

kirkco

Premium Subscriber
Try the Delle site. I live in north-east side of Tooele county and get the most traffic from this site. But your success will really depend on your antenna placement, the site that the traffic is hitting and obstructions,. I also use South Mtn, Nielson Peak and Promontory Point.

mrlthse

Greeting,
The problem with "Dell Site" is there is Two mountain ranges in the way,
And the same thing with the South Mountain, and Promontory Point is week also (S3) with steam.
Question I have: Is the RR listing of Tooele County Public safety correct and up to date.
I'm going to have to find a way of getting antenna outside and with some heights (above Ground level that is)
(Antelope Island and there is another one just slightly lower than that on the other side.)
Chris

Last edited:

kirkco

Premium Subscriber
Greeting,
The problem with "Dell Site" is there is Two mountain ranges in the way,
And the same thing with the South Mountain, and Promontory Point is week also (S3) with steam.
Question I have: Is the RR listing of Tooele County Public safety correct and up to date.
I'm going to have to find a way of getting antenna outside and with some heights (above Ground level that is)
(Antelope Island and there is another one just slightly lower than that on the other side.)
Chris
yes, it is up to date - for now - as P25 is coming soon (year or two at most).

mrlthse

The Summer time effort with the 800MHz UCA band.:
Well I guess my effort with attempting to monitor the traffic of public safety ( Police) of tooele county is at a loss.
I am just in the incorrect location, with almost just to much distance and not enough height to work effectively.
Thanks for all your help.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
I live in central Ogden on the east bench. Since Tooele is where I'm from, I also have an interest in listening to radio activity there as well. Here is my 2cents.

Radio's have to have permission to "affiliate" with a given site to establish communications. Promintory Point only allows a radio to affiliate if the radio's signal is strong enough to reach it. So often I hear one side of the conversation (usually dispatch) and not the portable radio. Distance is also a factor to the Davis Co. Landfill along with permission to affiliate. I can receive South Mountain on some days but not others. Same with Nelson Peak. So I have programmed in the control channels for Promintory Point , Nelson Peak and South Mountain. Everything that happens south of South Mountain is generally relayed through South Mountain. When able to hear South Mountain I can hear both sides of the conversation well. West to Wendover is a half and half deal. If the radio is closer to Wendover the traffic is routed through Wendover which is routed back to the Tooele EOC underground so we cannot hear it. The traffic closer to Delle is sent east to Tooele but again is routed in a manner which we can't hear.

My antenna's are all mounted on the base or portable scanners. I do have an external antenna on my rig with a mounted scanner. Mostly all I get from that scanner is static.

I hope going to P25 will help us to more easily hear more.

That said - since Jan 1 of this year - Weber County Dispatch has taken off the air almost any kind of identifying information about every call and they have made sure each person has a computer to receive info from. The fire dept's have apps on their phones and response to the hospitals is all done through cell phones (both personal and fire dept owned available in each unit). Ambulances do have radio's in the back but are very seldom used. So the amount of information we can receive becomes less each day everywhere across the state.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Would digital decode better with 700mhz/800mhz as analog? Using the.same current.distance we have now with the sites

kf7yn

Maybe a Yagi antenna would bring those sites on better. I have a 800 MHz Yagi you can have if you're interested. I'm in West Jordan.

I live in central Ogden on the east bench. Since Tooele is where I'm from, I also have an interest in listening to radio activity there as well. Here is my 2cents.

Radio's have to have permission to "affiliate" with a given site to establish communications. Promintory Point only allows a radio to affiliate if the radio's signal is strong enough to reach it. So often I hear one side of the conversation (usually dispatch) and not the portable radio. Distance is also a factor to the Davis Co. Landfill along with permission to affiliate. I can receive South Mountain on some days but not others. Same with Nelson Peak. So I have programmed in the control channels for Promintory Point , Nelson Peak and South Mountain. Everything that happens south of South Mountain is generally relayed through South Mountain. When able to hear South Mountain I can hear both sides of the conversation well. West to Wendover is a half and half deal. If the radio is closer to Wendover the traffic is routed through Wendover which is routed back to the Tooele EOC underground so we cannot hear it. The traffic closer to Delle is sent east to Tooele but again is routed in a manner which we can't hear.

My antenna's are all mounted on the base or portable scanners. I do have an external antenna on my rig with a mounted scanner. Mostly all I get from that scanner is static.

I hope going to P25 will help us to more easily hear more.

That said - since Jan 1 of this year - Weber County Dispatch has taken off the air almost any kind of identifying information about every call and they have made sure each person has a computer to receive info from. The fire dept's have apps on their phones and response to the hospitals is all done through cell phones (both personal and fire dept owned available in each unit). Ambulances do have radio's in the back but are very seldom used. So the amount of information we can receive becomes less each day everywhere across the state.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
I'll have to pass on the offer thanks for the offer. I live in an older home with 4ft eaves going all the way around. The plumbing pipes on the roof are not strong enough to support the omni directional radio shack scanner antenna purchased a number of years ago. I'm not willing to cut holes in the roof and eaves to anchor it to the side of the house. Been here 23 years and hope to move in the next year or so and then I will consider what to buy and where to put it. I'm also investigating adding sdr's. Waiting for the changeover to P25 first however.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
Enos.....have never used "digital decode".....can you explain your post a little bit more?

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Would it decode digital better than analog for 700 or 800 if the distance is the same and the type of signal changed

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
digital most generally decodes much cleaner than analog. Distance could be an issue as the fcc mandated lower power levels across the board about a year ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.