Toronto EMS Outside the 416

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
What frequency would T.O. EMS use when they go to hospitals outside the city?
Do they have radios equiped with fleetnet, can they get 'patched' with different CACC's?
C-phones?
Curiously awaiting replies

E

pathalogical

I think they communicate by good ole "Ma Bell" phone to other EMS districts. Sometimes I'll hear a T.O. EMS dispatcher saying they'll check with Peel if they have a closer unit. As you probably know, they can see which hospital has the least amount of ambulances waiting to off load the patient. I think it comes down to whose closer or availabe for the call. Another example, I've heard Toronto Fire being dispatched to Mississauga Trillium hospital for alarms...I was there when they showed up ! There's a fire station around the corner on hwy 10 from that hospital, but maybe they were on another call. Hope this helps...

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Path, figured it was phones.
Pretty much ever other CACC uses MOH Z1 or Zone 2 to communicate.
Y'd figure they would have a common channel with neighbour CACC's.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
EJB said:
What frequency would T.O. EMS use when they go to hospitals outside the city?

They would probably have a Fleetnet radio capable of operating on the CACC channels. If not, then they would probably have a VHF radio capable of PCOM.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Mike_Oxlong said:
They would probably have a Fleetnet radio capable of operating on the CACC channels. If not, then they would probably have a VHF radio capable of PCOM.

I'll have to listen to PCOM more often Mike.
I have heard enough other CACC EMS units in Toronto but never on my scanner heard any TDot EMS units even though when I lived there you often heard them being dispatched to areas like York & Peel to do transfers.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Every Toronto EMS vehicle has a FleetNet radio with not only the CACC talkgroups, but also every regular and tac talkgroup as well.

They would typically switch over to whatever Regional Common or CACC channel for the area they're in, but depending on operational requirements they might be told to switch to a regular operational channel. Remember, ambulance services in Ontario work on the "closest available" system, so just because a unit is from out of region doesn't mean they can't serve said area.

newtoscanning

Radio type?

exkalibur said:
Every Toronto EMS vehicle has a FleetNet radio with not only the CACC talkgroups, but also every regular and tac talkgroup as well.

They would typically switch over to whatever Regional Common or CACC channel for the area they're in, but depending on operational requirements they might be told to switch to a regular operational channel. Remember, ambulance services in Ontario work on the "closest available" system, so just because a unit is from out of region doesn't mean they can't serve said area.

Correct me if I'm wrong but they have the MCS2000's?

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
exkalibur said:

Have you ever heard a Toronto unit ever calling out on anything but p-com?

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
No I haven't, but I know for certain they have access to the other talkgroups.

But then, it's pretty rare for me to be scanning any of the other groups, so...

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
exkalibur said:
No I haven't, but I know for certain they have access to the other talkgroups.

But then, it's pretty rare for me to be scanning any of the other groups, so...

Thanks Mike:

Has anyone else here ever heard a T.O. EMS unit using fleetnet?

KevMuskoka

Toronto outside the 416

In discussing with one of my former co-workers, IF a Toronto unit actually uses the radio north of the Severn River (into Muskoka CACC's area) they would contact Muskoka on PCOM.

That's a big IF though, I think most of them think that they are invicible when they get that far north, as they rarely contact the CACC - knowing they might have to actually take a patient back down with them. However, when a Muskoka unit does that the other way, they get in big trouble...haha.

Kevin

newtoscanning

Chrome69 said:
was it ever said why Toronto EMS isn't on the Fleet ? Signal strength issue?

My Guess:

1. TEMS EDACS system was already operational before fleenet was.
2. Fleenet doesn't provide portable coverage, just vehicle repeaters
3. As a result of 2 there would be way too many people using one vehicle repeater since they're always around each other.
4. They have to work so much with Fire/Police it doesn't make sense not be on the same system. (interop reasons)
5. The TPSN (understanding it's a RELATIVELY new system) provides better coverage than one tower of the CN Tower.
6. There aren't enough channels on the CN Tower to support TEMS's Operations.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
If the Fleetnet system was on the CN Tower, you'd have a point. It is on the Mowat Block at Queens Park.

The 3c08 system is certainly not new, it is being replaced as we speak.

imcleish

Toronto EMS is not on Fleetnet because they do not wish to be.

It all goes back many, many moons, to the fact that although Toronto EMS is sanctioned by the ministry of health and long term care, they are a city of Toronto service. That is why in the province there are BLS, ALS, and Critical Care paramedics and in Toronto you have Level 1, Level 2, Level 3 and Critical Care Paramedics. Level 1 & 2 = BLS; Level 3 = ALS in the rest of Ontario.

See the previous comment by myself and Kevin, that although Toronto can operate similar to the rest of the province, they do not.

I'll leave it at that, before the hot water flows.........

newtoscanning

Oops

exkalibur said:
If the Fleetnet system was on the CN Tower, you'd have a point. It is on the Mowat Block at Queens Park.

Oops, sorry, could have swore I remembered reading off the DB that it was on the CN Tower, or maybe I remember that from Go Transit.

Anywho. My point proven even more.

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
exkalibur said:

The 3c08 system is certainly not new, it is being replaced as we speak.

Any word on when the system will be finished upgrading/replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.