Toronto P25 is up

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigcam406

I entered in the control channels and alternates last night and couldn't get a whiff of any control channel data out here in the 'Shwa,

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
They're the actual talkgroups. See my above post - the TG's on the new system and the old system are identical as the systems are now conjoined.

mciupa

I entered in the control channels and alternates last night and couldn't get a whiff of any control channel data out here in the 'Shwa,

For you, try 770.78125 Site 6 (East) and see if that works.

SCPD

QRT
Since the cat is out of the bag...

The talkgroups on this new system are the same as the ones on the analog system. The difference is that they're expressed in Motorola Decimal format on the P25 system. To convert, open up Windows calculator. Enter in the talkgroup seen on Unitrunker in decimal format and convert to hex. In the example above, 353 converts to 161, which is a court services talkgroup.

Also, the old system is site 1, 2, 3 and 4. The new system is site 5, 6, 7 and 8. They're using a system called SmartX. It essentially presents the P25 sites to the existing system as SmartZone sites, and the existing sites to the new system as P25 sites. This lets P25 radios roam freely on the new system while dragging traffic from the old system over. Once the old system is off the air, I suspect they'll change the site numbers from 5/6/7/8 back to 1/2/3/4.

So when programming in the old system can I just enter the decimal format? Or do I enter the hex format for the new talkgroups

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Dang thats neat! That i assume is only a motorola thing?

I can't speak to this particular system, but I know that the Newfoundland P25 system uses the same "decimal" talkgroups as the "decimal" values of the Newfoundland EDACS system. For example, the cross-province travel talkgroup is 662 in decimal on both systems.

Whether that is coincidental or if there is a Harris version of the SmartX (which is indeed a Motorola piece of kit) I don't know.

Jay911

Feed Provider
So when programming in the old system can I just enter the decimal format? Or do I enter the hex format for the new talkgroups

On the "old" (Smartzone) system program in the "regular" talkgroups. On the P25 system, the easiest way to do it is divide the Smartzone TG by 16. So 52 Div, 4752 on the "old" system, would be 297 on the P25 system.

Going the other way, multiply by 16: TG 353 on P25 is TG 5648 on the "old" system.

Jay911

Feed Provider
If you run Unitrunker on the old system, set Motorola Display Mode (on the Options page of the main window) to Modern Decimal and it'll use the talkgroup values the P25 system needs.

SCPD

QRT
If you run Unitrunker on the old system, set Motorola Display Mode (on the Options page of the main window) to Modern Decimal and it'll use the talkgroup values the P25 system needs.

I will set that up thanks again

TD

Premium Subscriber
Toronto Public Safety ( Project 25 )

Hello All
I'm coming to Toronto next weekend for 3 days I will be monitoring this system all weekend. I'll see what I hear well I'm there should be interesting. I program the system in the scanner and I'm ready to go.

TD

bigcam406

not really.but for what you are doing,just use the analogue system,its still going strong,there are only a few talkgroups available on the new one according to the database.

ninfreak

you will here chatter on the groups that have switch over if u have a P25 scanner and the system still looks like its in testing only seeing mostly fire dispatch talk groups

Status
Not open for further replies.