Torrington PD unhappy with Kenwood NexEdge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob_61

Hi I am from stupid radio I will sell you a stupid radio since you are stupid too. And I will give a stupid price and a stupid radio to go with all the stupid radio support you want.Since I am stupid like you in T*rr*n*to* city government, I will be happy to keep giving you stupid radios for all the stupid money you can give me.So be so stupid to give me all the stupid money you want. And I will go to the stupid bank laughing like a stupid .... :twisted:

Bob_61

you calling me stupid?

No! And why would you think that? Sorry if that is the way you took it. But I guess I did not make myself clear enough , but it was basically directed to the idiots in city government that play into sales pitch from those that sell them crappy radio system. Sorry for any miss understanding. Merry Christmas! :)

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Just sounds like they just installed the radio and base system without any real testing. Such a shame.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Was the 800 system really that bad? I know they were the "odd duck", running 800 while everyone else in the county around them is VHF Hi (Winsted, LCD, etc...)

I have nothing against them using Nextedge (although I do NOT agree with full encryption) , but why did they switch to such an oddball system. No license, unique. They would've been better off to go to an APCO25 system running (in the clear) on VHF Hi band (with a proper license...)

Thayne

All the Nextedge I have been listening to sounds way better than P25, probably the system wasn't engineered too well.

APX7500X2

Wow, they were told it won’t work as designed, and now they know it won’t work.

They were told by real radio shops that to cover like they wanted they need simulcast.
I guess a real radio system by a real radio vendor would have been to much to pay for, instead they can wait for the law suit when someone gets hurt or dies and pay 20X as much.

W2NJS

Just another example of non-techies making techie decisions without the benefit of impartial professional advice. Happens all the time these days, and the Boards are full of such examples.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Just another example of non-techies making techie decisions without the benefit of impartial professional advice. Happens all the time these days, and the Boards are full of such examples.

Or you get "Well XXX product is no good because it can't blend eggs, talk to Mars or cook a chicken, you need MY system cause its the greatest in the world!"

You can't just go down to Wal-Wart or who ever and say I want that off the shelf. But it happens.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Sounds more like poor engineering, we are using IDAS and it works everywhere we want. Now we are using many IP connected transmitters, and that's what the design calls for. Instead of voting receivers they (ICOM) recommend a complete transceiver at each site, and let the radio do the voting. Encryption has nothing to do with the problems.

xplorer417

kenwood nexedge

hi all i know one other department in ct that is using nexedge radios southwindsor pd just switch to uhf from 800 and they are digital in uhf mode southwindsor pd sounds pretty good i listen to them from time to time sounds alot better then apco25

brian209

Feed Provider
hi all i know one other department in ct that is using nexedge radios southwindsor pd just switch to uhf from 800 and they are digital in uhf mode southwindsor pd sounds pretty good i listen to them from time to time sounds alot better then apco25

South Windsor PD is using some Kenwood gear, but they are using the equipment in P25 or APCO-25 mode, not NexEdge. If they were using NexEdge, you would not be listening to them on a scanner.

There has always been a lot of "This" radio sounds better than "That" radio, and the trend continues into the digital arena. In my opinion, MotoTrbo and Nexedge have no business being deployed in public safety organizations since you close the system off to other agencies that you might need to cooperate with.

It sounds like Torrington, though, is having problems with coverage and not audio quality issues

Thayne

Now how are you listen to NEXEDGE?

I have both an NX-700 & 800 to play with unless my boss says he needs them for a customer; but we always have spares around. I have used them both conventionally on the amateur bands, and the 800 in NXDN mode. We are keeping these 2 because they have the PA & Horn option kit installed that not too many customers want---

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You can't just go down to Wal-Wart or who ever and say I want that off the shelf. But it happens.

This isn't just a Kenwood issue. Motorola sales guy sold a VHF repeater to our PD a few years back. I got a call one day to come down and "pick up a package". When I got there I found a VHF Quantar and a box of stuff. This was the first I'd hear of this. The police chief wanted me to install the "new radio system" so they could get off our 800MHz trunked system.

So, Motorola sales guy walks in and makes a sale. Zero engineering, Zero design, Lots of profit. Oh yeah, only one frequency, so we still had to go through all the work to coordinate a new frequency for the input as well as modify the license, and get all the surrounding agencies on board. Of course the Chief wanted to do that, so we ended up with a frequency that was 150KHz away from the repeater output. That meant expensive duplexers and a lot of desense issues. Finally had to get a new frequency to make it all work correctly.

I got stuck installing a system that I knew was going to be trouble. By the time we were done we had to install 3 remote receiver, a back up repeater and all the goodies that go with it.

800MHz system they were on worked fine, with a few known coverage issues that they had learned to work with.

VHF system is an improvement in that all the surrounding agencies are VHF, so we have the interoperability angle nailed down.

Moral to the story is:
Never let a Police Chief talk directly with a sales guy. It won't end pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.