Total DMR confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommJunkie

409.gif

Well...what happened???

teufler

THE REPEATER IN LAKE CHARLES, SHOWS SLOT 1 and slot 2. cc 10, you got that right. The frequencies appear right. they have a dm marc number so I don't think they are going over the dm marc network, even though they have a number.It seems that he quit responding, guess its working now or he gave up.

Last edited:

KC5CSG

The Awesome Blue Waffle 825
I'm guessing you didn't get anywhere?

It's interesting that you can't even hear yourself as the repeater itself can't be "encrypted", it just passes whatever it receives. This would lead us to believe you still have a programming issue (assuming you aren't just desensing the receiving radio when you Tx).

Fixed the problem. I got tired of looking at a correctly programmed radio and not being able to hear what was being said on the repeater. So, I programmed my radio for the Houston repeaters I got information on from online and tested the radio in Houston as I drove to pick up my daughter for the summer. I got onto and could hear their repeaters just fine.

Checked to make sure I programmed my radio the same way for the Lake Charles (Westlake) DMR repeater and STILL COULDN'T HEAR ANY TRAFFIC ON IT. I got in touch with KE5HSW (The person who along with AE5LB controls the repeater) and asked if the Lake Charles Repeater Club (W5BII) is allowing access control via encryption. This is when KE5HSW denied it was a club repeater. I asked if if wasn't a club repeater then why was it identifying with the club call (W5BII). He again denied it was using the club call as an identifier. It should also be noted that Repeater Book and DMR-MARC both show the callsign of the repeater as being W5BII which is the club call for SWLARC.

I got in touch with one of the club officers and informed him a few hams were using their club call on a repeater that was possibly encrypted and illegal. I played recordings of the repeater identifying in MCW but NONE OF THEM COULD COPY CW! Finally an older "elmer" type confirmed the group was.

It was then I informed them all I have seen enough and the lying has me believing the radio side of the system is being encrypted and I am considering informing the FCC. After all, this group reports to the FCC at the drop of a hat.

All of a sudden I can now magically hear EVERYTHING ON THE REPEATER. Gee....looks like it was a politcal problem not a plug problem. I have to swallow my pride and admit I was wrong 20 years ago during the code/no-code debates. Seems to me that you do get CB trash infestations from the FCC lowering the bar to get a license.

I know I'm probably going to get an infraction warning or booted for speaking the truth but oh well, it needed to be said.

de kc5csg

Last edited:

teufler

If two are using encryption, they would not know this unless they might have an indication from the radio but audio to audio, no. The other night, aFTER you mentioned encryption, I ran across a state tg that two were using encryption. Just a guess but I put my radio in encryption and their traffic was 100% readable. They were using enhanced encryption and had never changed the radio default settings. Nothing heard was of importance.

Status
Not open for further replies.